Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Great Place to Start
Created On: 05/01/2009 05:38 PM

06/16/2009 12:37 PM

Author Icon

Hey Anna,
Re: the story I shared on the increasing lethality of the swine flu H1N1 as it mutates- try this link: http://www.obbec.com/news/1179...f-h1n1-influenza-virus . One day workplaces may all have the whole body infrared flu screeners that I saw in action at Shanghai airport during the SARS epidemic...
 06/16/2009 11:51 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi 195556 - I had to do a bit of searching in that link you posted to find the article (even tried posting the link to help your readers out - but it went right back to the same link you have - weird). Just go to the Home page when you open up the link - look for "Biotech Firm Reports on Lethality of H1N1 Influenza Virus " posted June 12th on the right hand side of the page marked "Latest Headlines".

Anyway, it's interesting to say the least. Like you say, they're promoting their product from the way I interpreted the article - getting ready for the worst to come.

Stay healthy everyone!
 06/15/2009 11:54 PM

Author Icon

Not to alarm anyone further, but... a Biotech firm using FluForecast software has spotted a potential increase in the lethality of the H1N1 virus. Specificially, they say that the "the FluForecast analysis of new data of the past few weeks, through June 10th, on 144 new specimens published on PubMed (the global Gene sequencing database), indicate an increase in the current H1N1 outbreak's capacity for lethality." How objective is the analysis? Not sure, since this firm is also promoting their own vaccine- but the article really caught my attention. You can read more about it here: http://www.obbec.com/index.php...id=2603&Itemid=186 .
 06/15/2009 04:29 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Yes, you make a good view point there Spark86 and thanks for sharing it! We're not quite out of the woods yet like you say - as this virus will want to survive - and whatever form it can take to beat what we throw at it - it will fight till the end. As we all know, the countries that are not as affluent - are the ones that will suffer the most - sigh. We think alike with the the "ahem" comment <lol> - sad to say.

Here in Canada - an aboriginal community in Manitoba has had 200 people effected by it. Now, yes, most have had mild conditions but 27 have been sent to hospital in Winnipeg with severe symptoms over the past 2 weeks. Below is the link for this story:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manit...1/mb-swine-flu-78.html
 06/15/2009 02:14 PM

Author Icon
spark

I agree with the user 19556 in that I too fear what the next generation of viruses will look like. Much like the general population had assumed (I'm sure), I had thought that raising the pandemic level of the virus had meant that the severity of the disease had increased.

Rather, a rather interesting NY Times article (link below) let me know that in fact, "The term pandemic reflects only the geographic spread of a new disease, not its severity", which put me at ease somewhat.. that is, until I read on in the article. In particular, Dr. Margaret Chan (executive director of WHO) has said that "Even though the disease has been relatively mild in most people so far, governments must not relax...[because] for one thing, she explained, the virus could change at any time and become more severe".

Like clockwork, the article then goes on to discuss the greater risk of dangerous reactions to the Swine flu in poorer countries (due to malnutrition and other relevant socio-economic factors), calling for the richer countries to help out. As optimistic as that sounds, let's face it... No one is going to help out the poor countries unless they have something that the rich countries have (*ehemOILehem*).

just thought i'd throw my two cents into this discussion.. I also thought that this article was rather relevant and interesting so I thought I'd share.. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06.../12flu.html?ref=health
 06/12/2009 11:43 PM

Author Icon

Really this is a warning shot across the bow, especially for diabetics. Apparently, unlike SARS before it, H1N1 while highly infectious is not particularly lethal - if you are healthy. The next one may combine the worst of both. Bottom line with diabetes seems to be - get your flu shots, wash your hands, and watch the news. Scary to think what the next gen. of these viruses will do as they jump back and forth from domestic animals to humans and mutating as they go.
 06/12/2009 03:29 PM

Author Icon
administrator

Hi Doris,

I have just updated the link. You were actually a few seconds faster. Congratulations. Anyway, I personally thought the whole swine flue/H1N1 story was already over. I had almost forgotten about it.
Seems like we are back at square one now. Have to re-think my travel plans now.
 06/12/2009 01:43 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

FYI - for some reason the link for Anna's Blog is incorrect as stated by the Administrator - click on the link below and you'll receive the correct info on the Swine influenza - A (H1N1) virus .... http://www.diabetes1.org/blogs/Annas_Blog/2009/4/27

You'll find a link in my blog that will also take you to the HealthMap of the world - currently China is a 1,384 reported case, United States follows with 893 (this may have changed when you view it next of course).

How is this making you feel now that WHO has named this a pandemic? Is it making you change your travel plans or way of daily living?
 06/12/2009 09:46 AM

Author Icon
spark

Though there may not have been too much on the news lately about the swine flu influenza, the World Health Organization has recently (as of June 11) raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to phase 6, which indicates that a global pandemic is underway. Since people with diabetes have been found to be more susceptible to influenza-related complications, it is especially important for those with diabetes to take precautions against contracting the swine flu.

The link below provides some helpful information on how to avoid getting the flu, as well as some special considerations for diabetics.

http://www.diabetes1.org/News/mainstory.cfm/83
 05/01/2009 05:38 PM

Author Icon
administrator

Just added this section for people to discuss the Swine Flu. A great place to start though is Anna's Blog on the Swine Flu.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Learn more about the cause of type 1 diabetes and the role of insulin. ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Oct 27, 2020  © 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.