Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Dry Feet
Created On: 02/11/2010 01:48 AM

02/17/2010 05:42 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]Hey Jazzsushi - I've never seen a podiatrist in my life (wonder what they would say about my painted turquoise toenails)! I guess tho' it probably would be a good thing to do if you are having issues. At the West Island Diabetes Association meeting on April 7th we're having a few ladies from a foot care clinic come in to discuss taking care of our feet. Maybe, brrrh, even tho' it'll be still cool here in Montreal, maybe I'll change into my sandals so they can examine my feet. What do you think? [/p]
 02/14/2010 08:43 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Yes, you're right, I didn't know as well that our feet change over time. Believe it or not, I've recently discovered that I've been wearing the incorrect size of shoes for about the last 10 years! I have gone down a size in my foot wear. Thought it would be the opposite as we age, as you'd think our feet would get bigger with standing on them all the time, and I'm no light weight girl. [/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Since going to the proper size of footwear, no more rubbing of shoes, callouses, etc. Makes a big difference. The only thing is because when I worked in the office I had LOTS of shoes, they are now all slip/slide on me. So, they're going to go the Salvation Army for someone else to use (they are all in good shape as I take good care of my footwear). I'm like you tho' prefer to be barefoot, you'll find it hard when you move out east, but in the house here, I wear either flip flops or Crocs, it all depends on the temperature outside. Again, if you can find socks made from bamboo (I only bought them as they were on sale, otherwise I'd never have bought them), you will find them not so bad to wear. Feels like I'm wearing nothing (they are anklets).[/font][/p]
 02/14/2010 08:31 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]Anna- Thank you for your reply. I use shea butter on my feet after I shower. I think I need to start wearing socks again, this CA weather has me tad bit spoiled. I guess I'll go invest in socks, again. Thank you for the link to the video. I learned a few things I didn't know. I know this may sound crazy but I didn't know your feet changes its shape depending on how you walk on them. [/p]
 02/12/2010 02:57 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]I used to feel the same way as you do Cherise! I hated my feet, but because of having diabetes, I know I needed to start taking care of them since we're prone to infections. Infections if not taken care of will lead to worse case scenarios as we all know. Though my endo this week said compared to 30 years ago when he started his practise, he sees much less problems, such as amputation, which is a good thing in my books! [/p][p]I also had badly cracked heels/dry feet (more so during the winter months like now), but I now find if I wear good cotton / wool socks I do alright. I actually hate wearing socks or enlclosed shoes (I'm a sandals/barefoot girl - but for some reason Canadian winters just don't allow me this freedom ). I now find I am wearing socks during the winter months (find ones from bamboo suit me best, but you have cotton and wool). Main this is not to have the socks bind tight around your ankles, otherwise you cut off circulation to your feet. I also "try" to moisturize my feet every night before I go to bed. I don't use any special product aimed a diabetics, personally I find them too expensive. I just use a good cream that sucks into the skin, and while rubbing the cream in, that's where you can see/feel if you've got anything on your feet that needs attention.[/p][p]When you moisturise your feet - are you doing it after you bath? Moisturizer will go into your damp skin better that way, so it might help.[/p][p]There's a really good video here at Diabetes1.org that explains about foot care. I'd never seen it before now, until I started to answer your question - it has some good points in it (e.g. proper shoes, etc.) and is only a minute and a half long in viewing time. Here's the [url=/Multimedia/Foot_Care_Maintaining_Your_Good_Health]link[/url] (http://www.diabetes1.org/Multi...ing_Your_Good_Health). [/p][p][br][/p][p=text-align: center;][img=240x180]http://api.ning.com/files/0TCcubIFzuuCnyGotxlFhWoQngmfL6XIiqkYBchl4-2pPQxdekj7NWE-HGqaFJF6/BlueFeet.JPG?width=640&height=480[/img][/p]
 02/11/2010 01:48 AM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]I am not a huge fan of feet. I hate the way they look. I am not happy with the way my feet feel in the winter time. They are dry, not cracked but it drives me crazy. I use coco butter and Jergens but they do not help my feet. I went to Walgreens (local pharmacy) to pick up insulin, strips and glucose tabs. I saw a few different foot care products but I am not familiar with them. I am a little cautious when it comes to products that read "Diabetic" anything, they just want to make money off of us--at least that's what I think. Do you experience dry feet in the winter time? If so, what foot care products do you use? [/p]

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Vlog: Gene Kelly's Personal Diagnosis
Vlog: Gene Kelly's Personal Diagnosis
Gene talks about being diagnosed with diabetes when he was 12 years old ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 14, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.