Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Matter of life,death
Created On: 12/13/2009 12:52 AM

12/17/2009 11:09 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]Spark86-[/p][br][p]The letter Mr. Steinbeck caught my attention from the beginning to the end. There are a few organizations like Ipump.org who assist PWD's with diabetic supplies. There are a few companies that offer assistance for those who can not afford insulin supplies. My heart goes out to PWD's without insurance. [/p][p]Anna-[/p][br][p]I am curious, how much does insulin cost in Canada? what is the cost based on? [/p]
 12/17/2009 11:04 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]Anna- [/p][br][p]I agree the healthcare system is a terrible here but I don't think they can resolve the issue in just a few months. I agree something needs to be done but not a get it fixed quick type of healthcare system. I have worked around insurance for the past 7 years, I tell you Medicare has a lot to be desired. I also have a few PWD friends who are breaking the banks to pay for their diabetic supplies and it's not right. Could you give me the link for information on the type of Healthcare Canada has? I would greatly appreciate it. [/p][br][p] [/p]
 12/17/2009 02:42 PM

Author Icon
spark

[p]So it seems I have "found" the link I was talking about in my last post.. hehe [url=/forum/Children/Young_18_year_old_girl_spends_EVERY_night_in_hospital#64499]http://www.diabetes1.org/forum/Children/Young_18_year_old_girl_spends_EVERY_night_in_hospital#64499[/url] (Thanks FatCatAnna!! :p)[/p] [p] [/p] [p]I wonder why exactly the insulin costs so much more here than it does in Canada?? I could possibly conceive of a reason if we compare the US with a developing nation (corruption possibly?), but as far as I can tell, Canada and the US are pretty similar in terms of their social economy. There is no real big difference between the two countries in terms of development, and yet the richer nation seems to be demanding more of its patients than the not-as-rich nation. what is up with that?? (unless i'm wrong and Canada is in fact THE superpower of the world... or something.)[/p]
 12/15/2009 11:51 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]Again, the question that is burning in all Americans minds - the health system that you have (many discussions on every diabetic forum I belong to). One thing that amazes me about the American health care system, is the cost of insulin, compared to what you pay for it in the US. I had this problem back in the Spring time when I forgot to bring my insulin with me on a 4 day trip to Florida. The price of the insulin that I would use back home in Canada, compared to what I would pay in the US was a real slap in the face (luckily I managed on what I had, but my husband was prepared to FedEx me my insulin if need be, it was still cheaper then purchasing my insulin in the US)! Here in Canada, Mr. Steinback would not be in the situation he is in, he would be able to go onto a provincial plan (each province varies with what they cover, similar to the US states). [/p][p]BTW, he is not alone, I have a few PWD's in the US that are basically having to juggle their decision of "do I buy food?" or "do I buy my drugs?". It shouldn't be this way. I know Americans have been told that the reason they pay is in part to support research, the FDA, and because they get away with it.higher prices for drugs is due to development. What perhaps you would pay $10 a pill for, in other parts of the world would be $10 for the and It is a common practice to charge more in the US. Some drugs that you might pay $10 a pill for are offered in other parts of the world for as little as $10 for meds for the month! Ouch! [/p][p][img]http://www.canofwormspress.co.uk/images/CanofWormsLarge150.jpg[/img]I really see nothing wrong with the medical system here in Canada, and other countries on our big blue marble, if it means we can live, and not lose our livelihood and savings. I know I'm opening up a big can of worms here![/p]
 12/15/2009 05:28 PM

Author Icon
spark

[p]Wow that is quite a letter. From beginning to end, he has you hooked. I agree with you Diabetic_Iz_Me, that is quite a terrible situation to be in. Aren't there any foundations that may be able to help him out? There was also another posting here a few weeks ago about a little girl who had a rather rare form of diabetes which requires basically living at the hospital because of the treatment required, but because of insurance-related issues, the girl has essentially been sentenced to death. I can't quite find the link right now, but once I do, I will send it to you. However, I am (still) rather appalled at how inhumane the system of medical treatment is nowadays. How is it that an inordinate amount of money is required to get medical treatment? whether it be for hugely expensive medical expenses/treatment (i.e. the cost of a simple X-ray) to having to pay for insurance?? The whole thing (to me) seems like a joke. A cruel way to tell some people that their lives aren't worth saving.. purely because they can't afford it.[/p]
 12/13/2009 12:52 AM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]Friday on Twitter there was letter being tweeted titled [url=http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/matter-of-life-death/1057329]"Matter of life, death" [/url]written by Robert Steinback (Type 1). The article hit close to home because I have a lot of diabetic buddies who are or have been in the situation as Mr. Steinback. Mr. Steinback held a job at the Miami Hearld for 24 years, he was recently let go because of job cut backs. He enrolled into Cobra for insurance coverage but it's about to run out, he can not renew it because he has a "pre-exsisting" condition. I think it's terrible he can not find a job, can't start his own business and he can't get insurance. It' not fair, it's not his fault. [/p][p]I pray I will not have to see or live on a day to day or month to month healthcare plan. I disagreed with the healthcare reform bill that was being pushed. I would like to see a more thought out plan to help people in Mr. Steinback's sistuation or for those who don't have insurance because they can't afford it. I am not sure what the plan is or what it could be but I know something has to happen soon. We have to struggle with getting the care/supplies we need with insurance. I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't have insurance. It's a scary thing to think about but after you read "Matter of life, death" I bet you'll be thinking "this could be me" or "what can I do to help?", those are the 2 thoughts that ran through my mind. [/p][br][p]Click [url=http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/matter-of-life-death/1057329]here[/url] to read "Matter of life, death" . What are your thoughts on Mr. Steinback's letter?[/p]

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Diagnosing Diabetes in Children
Know the early signs of diabetes. This video features detailed information ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Dec 14, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.