Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: How do you treat your low's?
Created On: 12/17/2009 11:45 PM

12/21/2009 11:47 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]Anna-[/p][br][p]I love the Dex-4's yum! I need to start keeping a juice box on my night stand but I forget or my daughter drinks it. Smarties, the sugar ones that taste like pure sugar. OMG, chocolate covered smarties exist? gross! I am not a fan of chocolate; I do love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups:) I honestly, try to stay away from treating my lows with food because if the weight gain and not being able to stop. When I'm low I reach for glucose tabs. I have a juice box in my car and a few snacks in my purse but I am apart of the glucose tab generation. [/p]
 12/18/2009 12:09 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]I have become better over the years of not trying to pig out when I have lows (hear you on that Cherise <lol>). It's the night time lows that I now have less frequently then when I was MDI (multiple doseage injecting) that were the worst for me. I used to leave the cupboards bare with some of the hypos in those days. Not very pleasant for my hubby to discover in the a.m. when he'd get up for work - kitchen in a disarray - ugh![/p][p]I have become [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDF8VvU13M]an adult now[/url] (at 50 <lol>) - and even when I'm reading 1.9 mmol/l (34 mg/dl) - will first test my BG to confirm that it's a low, then I'll count out the amount of [url=http://dex4.com/]Dex 4[/url]'s I need depending on my BG reading, chew, chew, chew (coconut flavour ones are heavenly, like a Pina Colada without the hang over <lol>). One thing a friend of mine taught me tho', is to keep a juice box on my bedside table, but because of years of being trained to stumble to the kitchen (no stairs required - live in a bungelow), I forget about it sitting there, all lonely, waiting to be sucked on.[/p][p]In my backpack, I always carry Dex 4's, some sugary snacks, a juice box if I have room. Also, keep juice boxes in my car, except they've probably exploded the last few days due to the frigid temps - so will see if I have a surprise waiting for me tomorrow (I only use the car once a week - am trying to be Green).[/p][p]Cherise - when you say [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties]Smarties[/url], do you mean the chocolate candies with the sugar coating or the American version of [url=http://www.smarties.com/]Smarties[/url]? If you mean the chocolate ones, beware, because of the fat content, the sugar enters into your blood stream slower, so it's not the best food to use for treating a low. If you mean the American Smarties, they are good, just beware you don't overeat as I've heard they are GOOD (never had them, can't seem to find them when I go to New York/Vermont states - sigh - I love candy - oops - did I say that???? <lol>).[/p]
 12/17/2009 11:45 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 6 years ago. I was taught to carry glucose tablets with me. I am a huge fan of the berry glucose tablets; kinda taste like smarties. I treat my lows with food everyonce in a while but I notice when I use food to treat a low, I can't stop eating and I end up over treating a low. I am curious-- How do you treat your low's? Do you carry glucose tabs, glucose gel, smarties, juice box or food? [/p]

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
The Type 1 Mom Song
A candid and humorous look at a day in the life of a family with kids ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 17, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.