Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Genetics of Type1 Diabetes - Trisomy21
Created On: 04/13/2009 01:10 PM

06/02/2009 05:34 PM

Author Icon

Well, it maybe that people with Trisomy21 (Down Syndrome) may hold a number of clues to understanding T1 diabetes just as they are in whole cancer field (where they are less prone to solid tumors by 10x). So a 10x increase in autoimmunity and a 10x decrease in solid tumor risk. Hmmm- has anyone studied the solid tumor rate in all people with T1D - it would be really interesting if it was significantly lower than the typical population. On the Trisomy21/DS - T1 Diabetes link here's an interesting abstract on work out of the UK on islet autoimmunity in children with Trisomy21: http://diabetes.diabetesjourna...nt/55/11/3185.abstract .
 04/13/2009 03:54 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Relative to the question about trisomy 21 and type 1 diabetes … first, I did not realize that Down’s Syndrome was actually named after a person as suggested in this article (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/943216-overview) on the emedicine website. Therefore, there is no intentional actual negative connotation to the word “down.” That’s cool. Might make some parents feel a bit better about what can be perceived a horrible name to the syndrome.

Second, interestingly enough this article discusses the prevalence and cause of type 2 diabetes in trisomy 21 patients, not type 1, as it discusses “Decreased buffering of metabolic processes” and thus, increased insulin resistance. Could that be why so many affected kids I see are overweight? Or is it the chicken/egg thing? Which comes first? Weight or insulin resistance?

However, it also discusses decreased immune system function and increased incidences of hypothyroidism which is (also – like type 1) an autoimmune related disease and often goes hand in hand with type 1 diabetes. So ... decreased immune system being available for the type 1 picking?

And, if you believe like many of us do that type 1 can possibly be triggered by environmental causes (e.g. infection, chemicals, etc.) then the trisomy 21 child would be at the same increased risk as anyone who is prone to autoimmune diseases.

Did you read the article (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/outbreak/page1) in the Globe about type 1 clusters? I grew up ½ a mile from the now defunct South Weymouth Naval Airbase. My best friend and her sister both were diagnosed of cancer (and subsequently died) when I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypothyroidism. Makes me scratch my head about environmental causes relative to lots of things. I bet if we looked harder back to that time period, we'd find more "stuff" kids my age got. And they want to build a "village" including a school on that property!

This is the only study (http://www.springerlink.com/content/j50013p438v32x80/) I can find (so far) on the correlation between trisomy 21 and type 1 … I am sure there is more info out there somewhere!
 04/13/2009 01:10 PM

Author Icon

Recent reports have shown that the risk of Type1 diabetes is 10x higher for kids who have Trisomy21 (Down Syndrome). Why is that? Does anyone have any insight on this. Seems that if this can be figured out, it will help all kids w/ T1.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Your Diabetes Treatment Plan: Nutrition (Part 3)
Control Portion Size-Treatment Plan: Nutrition
How to control your portion sizes...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 14, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.