Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Staying Motivated
Created On: 10/27/2009 01:44 PM

05/19/2013 11:30 PM

Author Icon
Arlen

Often with Type 2 diabetic sufferers, decreasing bodyweight by consuming a better diet and training can do wonderful things but according to this study out alone is the miracle worker here....

[url=http://www.emrnews.com/electronic-medical-records-not-just-another-documentation-software/]
[/url]
 03/02/2013 02:23 AM

Author Icon
Devante22

I battle with this on the everyday. Actually, the most exercise I get during the weeks time seems to be strolling to and from my car (haha) so maybe I may be the incorrect individual to provide you guidance.
 06/15/2011 01:07 PM

Author Icon
ppatel24

I agree with spark. Forcing yourself to do a workout is not helpful at all. The best thing to do is find an activity that interests you. Even before beginning exercise, it is important to do a warmup to loosen up muscles so that you do not hurt yourself. A basic warmup could be rolling on the floor and doing some flexibility activites such as touching your toes. The warmup activities will allow blood to flow smoothly in your body and may even motivate you to do an actual workout. Sometimes listening to upbeat music can lead one in to doing a workout. I know that I need my ipod whenever I am on my treadmill. It is better to listen to some music instead of listening to yourself breathe heavily or listening to the workout machines creak.
 03/16/2010 04:00 PM

Author Icon
RunnersHigh

[p]Hey Varun,[/p][p]You seem like a funny guy. I imagine taking a martial arts or boxing class while having your CGM sensor attached to your body can be a bit risky. What happens if somebody hits it? Does it break or even move deeper into your flesh? I think martial arts classes do not only increase your metabolism but also your adrenalin levels. Not sure whether such an intense work out is unproblematic for folks with diabetes.[/p][p][img=500x333]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3547/3854338209_ed386c0ef9.jpg[/img][/p]
 03/12/2010 11:22 AM

Author Icon
varun123

[p]Thanks spark. Your suggestions are really very practical and I would definitely like to implement it. I would also like to add something to that. Taking a karate or kick boxing class will not only help you exercise but also will help you to boost your self confidence.[/p]
 12/01/2009 01:23 PM

Author Icon
AI

thanks for your suggestions!
 11/03/2009 01:30 PM

Author Icon
spark

AI, I know how you feel.. I struggle with this on the daily. In fact, the most workout I get during the week seems to be walking to and from my car (haha) so maybe I may be the wrong person to give you advice... On the other hand, since we seem to be on the same level regarding working out, maybe my suggestion will be most helpful? haha jk jk

I hate working out. Going to the gym sucks. If you hate the gym as much as I do, shelling out cash to pay for a membership to one will not change the way you feel about working out. On the other hand, I've found that rather than forcing yourself to start a workout routine you don't particularly enjoy, why not try giving some friends a call and setting up a game of basketball or something? I mean yeah, shooting some hoops or kicking a soccer ball around with friends wont give you as much of a work out as running on the treadmill for 30 minutes, but trust me.. it's a good start.. AND, it's SO MUCH MORE FUN!.. if sports aren't your thing though, there's always taking dancing classes, tae-bo classes, yoga/pilates classes, jumping jack classes, etc.. you get the point.. pick something you've always wanted to try (belly dancing perhaps? haha) and find somewhere that it's being offered..

Anyhows,I hope my insight helped.. haha I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm currently struggling with taking my own advice, but hopefully you'll do better than I.. :) Good luck!!
 10/27/2009 03:22 PM

Author Icon
RunnersHigh

AI, I would suggest you join some kind of club, either a health club, a run club, a walking group etc. Or find a reliable and "demanding" workout buddy so that you cannot just skip out without disappointing somebody. Of course, a financial commitment should also keep you motivated since you are wasting money if you do not use the club/do not work out. However, if you do not really like working out it will be a challenge. You must really be into, you should be able to get something out of it. If it is beneficial for your physical and mental health you will soon overcome any motivational barrier. If you are thinking about joining a health club bring a book, magazine, and your iPod so that you can kill 2 birds with one stone. Moreover, make sure you let people know you are working out. Find people who will remind you. Hope that helps.
 10/27/2009 01:44 PM

Author Icon
AI

One of the hardest things in working out is actually starting starting a workout. Anyone have any suggestions in staying motivated to work out?

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Lifestyle Change Emotion Part6
Stress Management- Lifestyle Changes and Emotions
The consequences of high stress and tips for stress management....
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 18, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.