Forum

>
Topic Title: Eye exams for Type 1 teenager
Created On: 01/13/2009 09:52 PM

01/13/2009 10:01 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi SuperMom!

Does she wear glasses already or has she been complaining about having problems seeing the chaulkboard or the TV? Depending on your answer - perhaps talking to your healthcare provider might be a first step. I wish I could remember to when I was 12 - when I first started to have vision problems if I was having headaches - but I don't think I did (giving my sponge brain a good test here <lol>). It wasn't related to diabetes. The next step after that would probably be for you to have her get an eye examination. Here in Canada they tend to run around $50 CDN - so probably is about the same in the US or abit less - and maybe covered by your medical insurance. It isn't here in the province I live in - only if you are under the age of 18 or over 65 - I'm inbetween <lol>. I get my eyes examed every 6 months as well - but the recomendation for diabetics is every year. And yes, you will get used to the new "normal" of living with diabetes - you both will!! Take care.

If she's been having some bad lows or highs - that sometimes can bring on headaches. I know for myself - when I was high - I would experience headaches at times - more in the morning when I woke up due to having not checked my BG before retiring to bed - and not taking a correction bolus.

Hope this helps. BTW, what age is your daughter if you don't mind me asking? I was 7 when I was diagnosed.
 01/13/2009 09:52 PM

Author Icon
supermom912

Is a yearly eye exam sufficient for a teenage type 1 diabetic? My daughter has been complaining of headaches recently and I'm wondering if it could be vision-related. Of course it's probably not diabetes-related but of course that's the first place my mind wanders when she has a new symptom. Eventually we'll get used to the new "normal" of living with diabetes.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Diagnosing Diabetes in Children
Know the early signs of diabetes. This video features detailed information ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 14, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.