Forum

>
Topic Title: Laser Photocoagulation
Created On: 12/31/2007 12:37 PM

11/12/2008 05:18 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi Sable,

I hear you with what you are going thru' with your eye sight. That has always been something I have been afraid of having complications with later on in life as I am sure it is for other diabetics. So far, touch wood (what is made out of wood these days <lol>), a few scares over the years but things have worked out okay for me.

The most important thing as others have said - is to get control of your BG's - the more stable they are the better. Going up and down is hard on your blood vessels - so if you can get the BG's at an even keel - then hopefully things will go better. It can be difficult for us - especially when we're older - with all the meds we have to take that can make controlling your BG's - but hang in there.
 11/04/2008 11:41 AM

Author Icon
sable_032592

i have it done in my right eye on may 2nd, 2008 and may 9th, 2008 was my left eye... 2 months later (july), my doc had to do it again, in both eyes on the same day and 2 months later again (sept.), she did it again in both eyes... now i'm not going to see her until the end of jan. 2009 but it seems this is getting ridiculous... i know if my bs was under better control, it would be better for me, but i'm getting scared that this will make my eyes worse in the long run...
 08/01/2008 04:36 PM

Author Icon
Elena_Ivanova

My mom's friend had one of those laser surgeries a long time ago - 8 years ago appr. The doctor promised that she would have a perfect vision for the rest of her life...The first surgery seemed to work for about 6 moths but then her eyesight started dramatically fall down. The second surgery did even worse - her eyes were inflamed and she was recommended to have a REAL surgery. Today she says that that REAL surgery saved her from being completely blind. She does not believe in easy solutions and became very careful about all the promises the doctors make.
 07/29/2008 01:06 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Welcome over from the ADA board Sherri!

Keep the faith. We will stabilize these blood sugars to give those eyes some time to heal.

Doris
 07/29/2008 08:23 AM

Author Icon
afarm

I recently had this done. My doc gave my eye a shot and totally deadened it so he could get in a lot of laser hits. Two weeks after the surgery I thought my vision was clearing, but then I got another bleed. Next week if it's cleared some he will do the PRP laser again.
 07/24/2008 11:47 AM

Author Icon
jessbaby

Hey there. I've had laser surgery on my right eye a number of times. It does seem to help, but getting my blood sugar under control helped even more. The procedure is exactly as described, outpatient, mostly painless, a little frustrating if you're not good with having your eyes touched, but in general is a necessary process for stopping the bleeding in the back of the eye associated with out of control blood sugars.
 01/07/2008 12:21 PM

Author Icon
Kerri44

Photocoagulation is laser treatment used to treat a variety of eye conditions. It is normally an out-patient procedure during which the patient remains awake but is given eye drops to dilate and numb their eye. During the treatment, focused laser light is directed into the eye focusing on the abnormality. The treatment generally takes less than 30 minutes and it normally takes a few weeks to determine if the procedure was successful. The intent of this treatment is to help slow vision loss.
 12/31/2007 12:37 PM

Author Icon
GREENMNT22

HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS 22 AND HAS TYPE I DIABETES. SHE IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HER EYES, AND NOW THE PHYSICIANS WANT TO DO THE PHOTOCOAGULATION. I AM HOPING TO GET SOME INFO ON WHAT THIS PROCEDURE IS COMPLETELY. THANK YOU

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Your Treat Medication Part 6
Hypoglycemia And Glucagon-Treatment Plan: Diabetes Medications
Guide to preparing for insulin injection using a pen ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.