< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Diabetes Police
Created On: 12/02/2009 11:35 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

10/18/2010 05:46 PM

Author Icon
AmariT

When I get annoyed at questions I've heard over and over again, I usually start making stuff up. "No, no, see. I have diabetes 5.7. We just have to avoid butternut squash."

That is not actually a good way to deal with the little annoyances of life.

Seriously, though, just stay calm and explain how diabetes actually works. If you're lucky, they'll learn something and you'll have saved both yourself and others they may meet further on down the line some annoyances.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 10/05/2010 12:05 PM

Author Icon
sverma

It sound like you are annoyed with the uninformed statemetns that people make. I think the best way to handle this situation is to say something to the effect of, "I have had diabetes all my life and my doctor has informed me about the specifics of the disease. I am able to manage my diabetes with the health plan my doctor has mapped out for me. I don't take advice from anyone other than my doctor about my condition. If you want to learn more about diabetes, you can check out a health community such as diabetes1.com."
 12/02/2009 11:35 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

Living with Diabetes can be a pain in the you know what but for the most part you learn to live with it and move on. Before I was diagnosed no one paid attention to what I ate after I was diagnosed that changed. I constantly have to say, "Diabetic's can eat whatever they want in moderation." I don't mind but after a certain point and hearing the same thing my blood starts pumping. I want to say "Hello! Didn't I tell you this before?" but I don't. I explain the same thing to them over and over again. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Diabetes Police: "You can't eat that."

Me: "Yes, I can. Diabetic's can enjoy the same foods you eat. The only difference is we can't eat it all in one serving."

Diabetes Police: "Diabetic's can't have sugar."

Me: "Yes, I can. I watch the amount of sugar I eat but I focus a lot on counting carbohydrates."

I know I'm not alone. How do you deal with Diabetes Police? If you are a PWD (Person with Diabetes) I know you have come across a few Diabetes Police. I know they mean well but COME ON, GIVE ME A BREAK, and GIVE US A BREAK!

-------------------------
Diabetic_Iz_Me
Type: 1.5/LADA
Omnipod

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Living with Diabetes
Living with Diabetes
There are 20 million Americans suffering from diabetes and many more who ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Jul 21, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
test