< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Diabetes pet peeves.
Created On: 04/10/2009 10:11 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/14/2009 12:12 PM

Author Icon
lilbabyrose

I've been lucky enough that I never bled so much as to cause a stain or anything (if anything maybe just the tiniest spot on the inside of the material) but I do know what you mean.Somewhat unrelated...those Tide Pens really work?! I'd have a bunch of other uses for them but I just figured they were never as "miraculous" as they were made out to be on the commercials. haha
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/14/2009 10:33 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Okay Aimey - that is annoying - if it was my fav outfit I wouldn't be a happy camper either. What length of needle do you use? I 've never bleed since going over to the short pen needles that I use (novofine 32g 6mm). I'm abit on the plump side so probably my viens are deeper down or something. LOL on carrying the Tide Stick!

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
 04/13/2009 11:09 PM

Author Icon
Aimeylux

Ugh. My BIGGEST pet peeve is when I take a shot in my side/stomach area... then remove the needle and put my shirt down without even looking.. to later find a BLOOD stain on my favorite white/yellow/pink/whatever cute top! It's SOOOOOO annoying! I don't normally bleed with my injections... I've been taking shots 4+ times a day for the past 17 years and it rarely happens.. but there are those few random times when it does happen and... Ugh! I always carry a Tide Stick stain remover pen with me nowadays just in case! haha. :)
 04/11/2009 05:59 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Yes - if you have read my blogs - you'd know the story behind my pen name of Fat Cat Anna as someone had asked me how I came about my name (http://www.diabetes1.org/blogs/Annas_Blog/2009/1/25). It is in honour of Beauduoin my little diabetic meow meow and my sailboat is named after him too (and he wasn't "fat" fat - he was just furry fat if you get my drift). He has since passed away - 2 years ago - due to something that will forever mystify myself and others (even the vets) - but it was not from diabetes - they actually thought he was the most well managed diabetic cat they'd ever seen :) There are now also forums out there for diabetic cat owners - something that I wish I'd had available to me then.Glad to see that you and Trisha are having FUN in the diabetic clubhouse here at Diabetes1 - can I offer either of you a few Easter jelly beans to nibble on (only a few left - due to hypo this afternoon - sorry). 15g of pure sugar for 15 count of them - but ohhh so yummy!

Type 1 since 1967

04/11/2009 05:51 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

That's what makes writing a difficult task ... words aren't the only thing that relay the message. Yet online, that's all we have. So, what may seem humorous to some comes across in an entirely different way to others.Doris

Doris

diagnosed juvenile-onset diabetes 11/2/76
 04/11/2009 03:18 PM

Author Icon
lilbabyrose

Doris, I'm sorry you misunderstood my post. It's not about having resentment for the disease (though I do have some of that at times). It's about the little things that make you throw your hands up in the air and say, "Geez!" Many of them I find funny.Resenting the disease or not I think it helps to be able to find things about the disease to laugh about. Most of these, in my opinion, are just that. A way to lighten the mood a little instead of it often just being a chore or an added responsibility in your life. That, for me, doesn't equal resentment.
 04/11/2009 01:48 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Anna,No, I didn't know you have a diabetic cat. Do you test his blood sugar and where do you give the injections. I understand it's capillary blood from the ears for blood sugar and shots in the neck fat. Is that true?I had a cat that became diabetic when I had to give her away. Her name was Monet! A friend wanted to name her "money" - rich kid from Stamford, CT. I suggested "Monet" might be more appropriate. Anyway, she became a diabetic (before test strips) and I didn't have to take care of her. I have a very fat cat now who I'm concerned about and I'd easily share my Levemir and syringes. but I don't think I can test blood sugar in her ears or shove a syringe in her neck.I have another friend who had a cat who was diabetic but the cat has since died. The poor thing was constantly having seizures - can you spell bad blood sugar control??? I didn't ask too many questions because I just couldn't bear to know too much or to watch. Doris

Doris

04/11/2009 01:43 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

I'm afraid that after 32 years, I just don't have that many pet peeves about diabetes (and I sau the word it the way Wilford Brimley does. It's not a vegetable and it doesn't have a "z" on the end. Maybe it's a regional pronunciation.)What I can tell you is that I know if I had a list that long I'd feel nothing but resentment and be entirely miserable. I was diagnosed at the same time my best friend was diagnosed with cancer (my first blog entry is on the topic). I have never felt miserable about being a diabetic. I do not suffer. I do not (normally) hate the disease. It is what it is and I can do so much with it. It is not the end of my life like cancer was my best friend's.I'm sorry you feel so badly about being a diabetic. I do believe it is easier to be diagnosed with diabetes as a child. Though I remember the very casual response I gave my mother when she asked "do you know what you have?" I still smile at it. I said "Yes, diabetes. I've been trying to tell you that for a few months." My biggest problem with the diagnosis was that no one realized I had a hard time taking shots in my legs (I was a twig). So it was months before I was liberated by being told I could use my butt! To this day, I use my butt and my arms. I'm not a twig anymore but I'm pretty proud of my weight at age 44. I'm 5' 4 1/2" and 120 pounds. I am very much in control with consistent A1Cs of 5.1 (and no passing out) but I don't care much about food, so it's not hard for me to keep from overeating either. I don't starve but I don't live for the next meal. I'm a firm believer in turning lemons into lemonade so if you really have such a hard time with the concept, you might want to figure out a way to do that. Of course, you might want to use sweetener instead of sugar, but lemonade makes a lemon look a whole lot brighter! Just a thought. Best wishes.Doris

Doris

04/10/2009 11:33 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

LOL - I can relate to a few of what you've written - but I think I may have one up on you - I guess it would be a mini-peeve . Having your cat screaming at you as you prepare your needle to inject yourself because HE thinks the needle is for HIM! It's my needle - your time will come later furball. Did I mention that my cat is an insulin dependent (Lantus) diabetic as well? Now the stabbing myself in the chin with a needle - no - but have had it slide into my finger by accident. Ouch - but double ouch for the chin bit. Hmm, are you wanting to be like Christiane in Nip/Tuck?Oh, one comment I find annoying is "You don't look like a diabetic!". Usually I will lower my head down - and pull apart some hair in my scalp - to show them the DDD mark (Delightfully Devilishly Diabetic).Okay, I may come up with some other ones later (I think best in my sleep ). For now, let's see who else can cough up some good diabetic pet peeves!!

Type 1 since 1967

04/10/2009 10:11 PM

Author Icon
lilbabyrose

I started a blog a while back and found myself coming across a lot of "pet peeves." Most of them are not truly problematic but rather just annoyances that often come along with the disease. Many of them are funny but some are not. Share your peeves. Here's the list I've come up with so far, in no particular order...-Weight gain once control (or something close to it) has been achieved. Who has money to buy a new wardrobe when medication and supplies are so expensive?-Bruises from injection sites and/or infusion sites. Would kind of ruin the bikini body if the weight gain hadn't already.-Running out of strips for the good meter you prefer to use and having to use the back up meter.-Accidentally turning your lancet device up to the deepest setting and not noticing until lancet hits bone or comes out the other side.-Accidentally stabbing yourself in the chin because you slipped while filling a syringe. (God, I hope somebody else has done this.)-People that say "diabetis." They really shouldn't have Brimley doing those commercials because of that. It irks me to no end. (Sorry to anybody that does say this.)-Non-diabetics/non-doctors that offer advice, make comments showing they don't have a clue what they're talking about, reprimand you when you do something wrong (that's mostly for acquaintances, not people you're close to) and ANYBODY that has an "I could do it" or "It doesn't seem so hard" attitude.-Needles that come out of the syringe at a slight angle. Reli-On, I'm talking to you!-Alcohol swabs that are partially caught in the seal of the foil wrapper thing. Is it sterile? Is it not? Do I care?-Fingertips that refuse to bleed more than the tiniest little pinpoint of blood.-Having an overactive toddler running around when you're nervously trying to take an injection in a site you're uncomfortable with.-Worrying about your kid. Will he develop diabetes? Will I develop any number of complications that could limit my interaction with him or put a damper on it? We all know what stress does to those BGs.-Finding used testing supplies everywhere. In the cupholder in the car, under your pillow, between couch cushions, stuck to the bottom of your foot...And I've only been diabetic going on four years. I'm sure I'll come up with many more. Now share yours!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Longterm Health Risks Part 3
Diabetes and Heart Disease: Long-Term Health Risks
Why diabetes increases the risk of heart disease, and how to lower that ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Jul 15, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
test