Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Low Carb Diets
Created On: 03/24/2009 10:39 AM

05/20/2013 12:01 AM

Author Icon
Arlen

Deficiency of regular water can lead to lack of fluids, a condition that happens when you don't have enough regular water in your body to bring on regular features....

[url=http://www.emrnews.com/electronic-medical-records-not-just-another-documentation-software/]
[/url]
 03/01/2013 01:56 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[font face="verdana, geneva" size="2"][br]

[br]Interesting about the curds and whey article 19556. I'm a T1, and find that keeping my blood sugars from spiking up from a meal, by eating a slice of cheese (extra old cheddar is my fav - helps me alot in my control). Did you know that certain cheeses are low in lactose - so if eating whey isn't your cuppa tea - something else to consider as well.[br][br][br][br]Most of the lactose found in cheese is removed with the whey during the manufacturing process. Most ripened cheeses, such as Cheddar and Swiss (my favs), contain about 95% less lactose than whole milk. Aged cheeses contain almost no lactose - only 0.4-1 gram of lactose per ounce. Processed cheeses contain about 0.5-4 grams per ounce .[br][br]When shopping for cheese always look at the Nutrition Facts on the labels. If the amount of sugars listed is 0 grams, it does not contain lactose. You can always call the manufacturer if you are still unsure.[br][br][br][br]I wondered about the link that you posted, and saw it was from 2009 - so went searching for more recent articles on this. I came across this [url=http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/Amy-Campbell/protein-supplements-whey/]link[/url] at Diabetes Self-Management - with some good tips - one of them being consult with your health care team (what works for one person - may be determential to you) - especially if you have any kidney or liver problems.[br][br][br][br]Like Devante22 says below - which is very good common sense - and a approach I take to leading a healthy/full life withdiabetes - to match your lifestyle more then your achievements in your weight loss goal. Slowly but surely you will reach what you are achieving - and if you are lucky - maybe able to only maintain your diabetes (if you're a Type 2 or are pre-diabetic) without much trouble.[br][br]NB: if you rec'd multiple posts on this same comment - I had alot of difficulties posting - this website for some reason - kept on removing some of my writing - and I had to repost a few times. Will ask Diabetes1.org about this - as it's darn frustrating!!! [/font]
 03/01/2013 06:32 AM

Author Icon
Devante22

Thanks for discussing some important point about low cerb diet plan, here something new, I really appreciate for your work. But In my perspective you should select low cerb diet plan to match your lifestyle then you achievements in your weight-loss program.[br][br][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srr6NzuMMKk]Cary Personal Trainer[/url][br]
 01/23/2013 03:29 PM

Author Icon

Another thing to consider is eating some whey with those high carb meals... Actually discovered this by when I was trying to figure out what the heck the "whey" in "Curds and Whey" was... It turns out that whey is a milk based by-product from making cheese (so not so good for lactose-intolerant folks). But more interesting is that it was studied as a natural food supplement for people with T2D in Europe. It was a small study, but...they found that "the addition of whey to meals with rapidly digested and absorbed carbohydrates stimulates insulin release and reduces postprandial blood glucose excursion". Not sure exactly how it works or if it works for people with T1D, but seems worth checking out as a natural nutritional option...[br][br]See:http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/69.abstract[br]
 01/22/2013 10:31 AM

Author Icon
Adam8100

Eat less and work out more. Appears to be easy enough, but in the perspective of actual lifestyle and its requirements, it can be anything but Since 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound of fat, if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'll lose approximately 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories).
 06/21/2010 03:50 PM

Author Icon
mstraub

[p]Keep eating those carbs! A new study has just come out finding that women who are resistant to insulin lose more weight on a low carb diet than they do on a low fat diet. "Both groups lost weight at each monthly weigh-in, but by 12 weeks, the insulin resistant group receiving the lower-carb diet lost significantly more weight, 19.6 pounds versus 16.2 pounds in the low-fat diet group - approximately 21 percent more on average." This is not to encourage people to load up on carbs and completely cut fat out of their diets, but to show people that carbs are not all bad. I know a number of people who have gone on diets and carbohydrates are the first food group they eliminate from their diet. So, for those women resistant to insulin, looking to lose some weight, a low carb diet is the way to go! Feel free to indulge on those carbs, including watermelon, and red peppers, those that are especially good for you![/p] [p] [/p] [p]For more information about this study, please visit…[/p] [p] [/p] [p][url=http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192317.php]http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192317.php[/url][/p]
 12/08/2009 01:02 PM

Author Icon
AI

Thanks for the advice. I'm with you on that watermelon idea. you're also never in a bad mood when you eat watermelon either. Delicious and great for mental health.
 12/08/2009 01:39 AM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]FatCatAnna- I knew I loved Watermelon for a reason! I can't wait until the summer time! Watermelon here I come. [/p]
 10/16/2009 05:02 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]I'm always searching for info on low carb dieting. Mainly because of wanting to attain better BG's with my diabetes and not having BG spikes with foods that are high on the [url=http://www.glycemicindex.com/]glycemic level[/url]. [/p][p][img=103x130]http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq156/mhballard_photo/McKinleyeatingwatermelonIV.jpg[/img] I'm not sure if you are the same as me - so maybe I'm hanging myself out on a limb here by posting this bit of info I just came across. [/p][p]Watermelon - now who does not like it - when it's in season that is? I've always known it was low in carbs - of course - depending on how much you consume. Did you know that 1/2 a cup of diced up watermelon contains only 5.5g of carbs? To actually see this on my screen, makes me feel less guilty about eating a slice! Plus it's #1 on the list of 25 fruits / vegetables! If you want to check out other low carb fruits - go to this [url=http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/food_and_nutrition/low_carb_fruits_vegetables.html]link[/url] to discover other delights of Mother Nature that won't cause you scream.[/p]
 03/24/2009 10:39 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I've been doing abit of research online over the past few months - since reading Doris Dickson's posts/blogs on how she maintains such a low A1C of 5.1% with eating a low carb diet. I found it very difficult to comprehend how she cannot eat fruit (she does use juice boxes to help with her low blood sugars). I eat about 1-3 pieces of fruit a day - and can't imagine not sinking my teeth into a juicy apple or orange.

Well, I found some very interesting information written by Laura Dolson who is the Low Carb Diets Guide at About.com - which helped answer alot of my burning questions. Did you know that red peppers contain MORE Vitamin C then an orange does - and also very low in carbs? I love red peppers (as long as they are affordable). The good thing with low-sugar fruits (e.g. berries, melons) they are usually the highest in nutrients and antioxidants. Eating 1 to 3 servings of these fruits per day are all you need according to Ms. Dolson - which suits me fine!

To read abit more about fruits that are low carb as well as other information on other low carb diets (e.g. there is a link for "Low-Carb on a Budget" - which is right up my alley) - go to the link below:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/...ttoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Your Diabetes Treatment Plan: Nutrition (Part 2)
Choose Foods Low In Fat-Treatment Plan: Nutrition
How to choose foods low in fat...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 18, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.