Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: From maggots to Bionic socks- diabetic foot ulcers begone
Created On: 06/04/2014 03:17 PM

06/09/2014 10:04 PM

Author Icon

<p>Well, FatCatAnna, my guess is they will be in the $199 range to get a starter set of 2 socks and a monitor which feeds data to your phone with replacement socks in the $29 range. & No I am not an insider! I'm just pegging the pricing off of the Mimo device, one of the first wearable tracking devices which is using those price points for [url=http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33641546]body suits that monitor sleeping babies[/url] - & No, I am not caliing you a baby! (& you certainly are not asleep ;-)</p>
 06/07/2014 02:58 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

<p>Amazing what technology is out there! These socks could save alot of amputations for diabetics who don't have any feeling in their feet. I wonder how much these will cost - and hopefully private health care holders might have them covered.</p>
<p>The cost of these socks I'm sure would outweight all the medical costs involved with trying to save a foot - or in worse case scenario - a leg due to infection spreading up further!</p>
<p>So far, touch wood, I still have feeling in my tootsies - and examine them every night before I go to bed. Though on recent holiday in Bermuda, a recently diagnosed diabetic told me I was a bad diabetic (and I did not take offense to his comment), in not wearing proper footwear while on the sandy beaches. He swore by these nifty running/water shoes (I think they were Nikes) - his fear of having ampulation of his feet was a big worry for him! </p>
 06/04/2014 03:17 PM

Author Icon

<p>A cool new way of catching and preventing diabetic foot ulcers is being invented out in Arizona- [url=http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2014/06/02/wearable-technology-saving-limbs-diabetes-patients]pressure sensitive skin-sensing socks[/url]. These come care of Dr. David Armstrong, who is a podiatric surgeon and head of a limb salvage clinic, who first came to the fore with his advocacy of the [url=http://wounds1.com/news/mainstory.cfm/41]use of maggots to clean out wounds[/url]. Dr. Armstrong's definitely an "out of the box" thinker!</p>

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Maintain Good Health Part1
Foot Care- Maintaining Your Good Health
Why diabetics must pay special attention to their feet....
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 18, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.