Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Alternative Therapies - Are there ANY?
Created On: 11/26/2008 10:24 AM

11/25/2009 10:59 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]Came across this article online today which may answer some of the questions you had about using alternative (natural) products for your diabetes[url=http://www.canadianliving.com/health/prevention/diabetes_and_natural_medicine.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=health_24Nov2009] Canadian Living[/url] . Take note that this pertains basically to Type 2 diabetics, as sometimes natural products can muck up Type 1 diabetes. I guess we Type 1’s are more fragile thenType 2 – but am just taking a guess here. [/p][br][p] Dr. Michael Lyon, author of How to Prevent and Treat Diabetes with Natural Medicine, says our diet has an enormous influence on preventing and treating diabetes. Of course, this article is just showing you a few tidbits, as he wants you to buy his book, but here are a few things he says about natural products. Green tea, also coffee has been shown to be protective against diabetes. He notes that ginseng has taken a lead in diabetes research right now, so keep at eye open on this (American and Korean ginseng supposedly are the best). Also, PBX fiber, which is a root from Asia and when combined with different fibers, can lower blood sugars by 20% in diabetics, and also lower insulin levels by 50 per cent along with dramatically increased insulin sensitivity. [/p][br][p]Now again, I caution anyone considering using alternative therapies, that you consult with your doctor first, as you may make your health worse. Everyone differs in how they are affected by different treatments as well. If what I've written above has made you curious - you can check out his [url=http://www.naturalfactors.com]website[/url].[/p]
 10/23/2009 02:17 PM

Author Icon
LisaMM

Hi everyone, While we’re on the topic of alternative therapies, I figured I’d throw out another question. What do you guys think about using Chinese herbs to prevent diabetes? A study released earlier this month said that these traditional herbs could help control blood sugar levels. It generated a lot of press – one of the articles can be found here. The headlines make Chinese herbs sound really promising, but after reading further down in the article, I’m not sure. It seems like the herbs need to be put to much more rigorous testing before any claims about diabetes prevention can be made. Anyone use Chinese herbs? Do they seem to have an effect on your blood sugar levels? Just wondering…
 10/21/2009 02:15 PM

Author Icon
spark

Ahhh~ sorry about the link!
Here it is again.. I don't know how I could have screwed that one up.. :p sorry sorry
[url=http://www.care2.com/greenliving/health-benefits-of-epsom-salt-baths.html]http://www.care2.com/greenliving/health-benefits-of-epsom-salt-baths.html[/url]
 10/19/2009 08:56 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi Spark86!  Not having much success with the link you posted.  Do you want to repost, so I can give you my thoughts on it! Many thanks!
 10/19/2009 12:23 PM

Author Icon
spark

Hi FatCatAnna,
You mentioned that you've tried various alternative therapies for maintaining your diabetes... I was just wondering if you've ever tried taking a salt-water bath and whether it was actually helpful or not.. I was just googling salt water therapies and came across several articles suggesting that Epsom Salt baths could help with managing/reducing the incidence of Diabetes (http://www.care2.com/greenlivi...som-salt-baths.html). 
The healing power of salt... Not entirely sure if I believe it.. I've heard that salt has plenty of benefits health-wise, but i have my doubts about this.  Any thoughts? :)
 11/28/2008 02:21 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

No - I don't think there are any alternative therapies for diabetes. Depending on the type of diabetes you have (1, 1.5, 2) - it's a combination of diet/exercise and/or insulin.

There are some herbal medicines I've taken over the years - e.g garlic pills for blood pressure, cinnanamon for balancing out BG's - and they may have helped (luckily the garlic pills I took didn't make me smell <lol>). I still think you're best bet for now is the current therapies out there on the market.

I still am not sure if the cinnamon pills I take really help - my BG's have always been pretty good - both MDI and insulin pump - but they certainly balance out the fish supplements pills I pop everyday along with other goodies - since I belch cinnamon instead of fishy breath <lol>.

Hope you are all recovering from Thanksgiving with the loosening of the belt!
 11/26/2008 12:17 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

I do not believe there are any alternative treatments for type 1/juvenile onset diabetes. There are alternative treatments to alleviate symptoms of long-term high blood sugar but they are only for temporary relief of symptoms. They do not treat the cause of the complications.

There are also supplements (vitamin and mineral) that assist with things like lowering of cholesterol levels and neuropathy but again, they don't deal with the cause.

I have been known to use massage therapy and physical therapy for treatment of symptoms of things like frozen shoulder, trigger finger and herniated cervical disc. They do not solve anything though. The only thing that has solved anything was the lowering of my target glucose from recommended 110-140 to 85 and attainment of a normalized A1C level and keeping it there. Other than that, I'm just sugar coating a symptom.
 11/26/2008 10:24 AM

Author Icon
RunnersHigh

Recently, I have heard more people talking about alternative medicine as opposed to conventional medicine. For example - traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture, herbalism, homeopathy to name a few. I have experienced the benefits of those therapies many times, but is this the way to go for people with Diabetes?

Have you tried any alternative therapy? What worked and what did not? What should people consider before selecting a therapy?

Happy Thanksgiving!

RunnersHigh

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Problem Solving Part 3
Restaurant And Menu Choices- Diabetes Problem Solving
Tips for eating healthy even when you're dining out (part 1)...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 16, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.