Forum

>
Topic Title: New Type 1 Diagnosis Research
Created On: 10/17/2008 09:02 AM

10/18/2008 11:01 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hey SuperMum!
I can't seem to view the article - will have to figure out why tomorrow (it's a multiple used PC - so who knows what switch has been turned on/off <lol>). I know for us "long in the tooth" Type 1's that we would like to see a cure. Also, did you know that Type 1's - juvenile - goes up to age 30? I only found this out when a boyfriend of mine became diabetic later on in life.

The sad thing besides Type 1 is the amount of Type 2 diabetes that is occurring in young children - due to eating habits / exercise - just our general way of living I think. When I was diagnosed with diabetes - Type 1 - juvenile was a very small percentage of the diabetes population. I don't know - maybe kids are less active now then they used to be since I was always outside playing. Perhaps there is something in our heavily processed food (I rarely eat proceesed food) or the air with breath in. I'm no medical expert like some of you that write on this Forum - just hands on!

BTW, I noticed your posting in another section - that you were looking into whether or not to get a pump for your daughter. How is the research going? It took me about 5 years to make my final decision if it helps. PM me if you have other questions as well.
 10/17/2008 09:02 AM

Author Icon
supermom912

Researchers from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia have identified two genes that raise the risk of type 1 diabetes. More research is needed but this seems like an exciting breakthrough in type 1 research which could improve predicting who may be diagnosed with diabetes. I always hold out hope for a cure but this research brings hope for those yet to be diagnosed. You can read about the research here: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Youth Diabetes: A Teacher's Perspective
A young middle school teacher who talks about the impact obesity has had ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Sep 16, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.