Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Cures for Diabetes?
Created On: 12/31/2007 12:41 PM

03/05/2009 02:25 PM

Author Icon
JWD

Big Wow! Doris you say that you do not have complications, however I consider frozen shoulder and gastric difficulties as complications. Non-chronicall ill people have little to no idea how difficult it is to function from day to day. Because most diabetics do not look ill, many individuals assume we are faking it or making it sound worse than it really is for us. But, I too, have gastic difficulites. I am sick to my stomach about 70% of the time. To date, I have not found a legal, prescription medication to fix the problem. Most of the time when I think about the "Business of Medicine" I believe that diabetics are "Cash Cows" that bring in millions of dollars a year. If there was a cure than the flood of money would stop.

I too have problems with my right shoulder. I have pins and staples holding the joint together. In 1979, I was on a blind date when the car we were riding in crashed. I flew out of the vehicle and dislocated my right shoulder, smashed my left humous which shreded my radial nerve causing the loss of function in my left hand for 9 months, broke my pelvic bone and almost lost my left eye. To date I have broken 19 bones in my body. Pain is a way of life for me.

In the Fall of 2007 I spent 2 months at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I was able to stay with a friend while I went to the Pain Rehabiliation Clinic (PRC) and saw my various doctors. I was able to stop taking hard-core pain meds and gained my sense of humor back. Now, my humor is the weapon I use against pain and discomfort. It is the only medicine that I have found without side effects. Doris, how one would go about using humor as medicine is a difficult questions. I would suggest starting with movies and books that make you laugh until you cry. Also, friends that one can laugh with has been very benefical for me.

Anna, let's go riding! My female friends and I are planning a bike trip for women. The little town that we live in has witnessed our male biker friends take two bike trips every year to Drummond Island. This ritual as existed for over 30 years. We women thought it was time to plan our own trip!

I am currently using the Minimed Paradigm Pump. Anna, I love that you have named your pump and I love the name you picked.

JWD
Jackie Warren Demijohn
Diabetic since 1963
 03/04/2009 07:27 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

JWD

I again wish to thank you for taking the risk of participating in the trial. I know well of the complications from taking just the steroids, I know that you really must have been searching for solutions in order to participate. (Ya have to wonder if the insulin resistance caused by steroids is part of why you still had to take insulin??? )

I was diagnosed in 1976 and took two doses of Regular and NPH from the date of diagnosis. But of course, that was not a great solution because we only had urine testing and large doses. So, though I'm fortunate to not have any major complications I had features that screwed life up. For instance, I had a highly acidic stomach that made me sick as a dog most mornings. Because of that I couldn't get to my college courses or work -- well too often. Who knew? My doctors had no idea there was a cause and effect from high blood sugar and stomach problems. Then again, without a glucose meter, who knew I was high?

These days I have a frozen shoulder that won't quit ... really needs surgery since it progressed to a bone spur and rotator cuff tear but I'm not biting at this point. And sexual dysfunction is a big "feature." Of course, with women they don't consider it a big deal but my significant other does ... pain results in total lack of interest on my part and he can't possibly understand.

I feel very fortunate to have my organs, limbs, eyes and nerve endings in tact (that I know of). I've never passed out or had a seizure or other dangerous hypo issues. I can make syringes sing and don't have a need for a pump but I manually replicate many of the pump features - small doses, extended "bolus" etc. And I test 15 times a day and adjust anything >100 (target is 85 at all times). So my A1Cs are consistently 5.1. I still strive for <5 though. It's a goal. We all have to have them.

I look forward to hearing more from you. Welcome to diabetes1.
Doris J. Dickson
 03/04/2009 04:13 PM

Author Icon
JWD

A lot of questions and a whole lot of answers. Let me begin this way, prior to the Islet Cell Implant in 1998, I was a diabetic mess. I was so ill, that not until I received the Implant did I realize just how ill I had been. I now knew one thing for sure, I never wanted to feel that bad again. During the 20 months that the Islet Cells functioned, I was begining to register C-Peptides and most of my conplications began to reverse. I was given two Bone Morrow IV Infusions after the Implant from the same cadaver donor (thank you all of you donors out there in cyber space!) and the dreaded immunosupprants, which included steroids. This went on for 20 months.

The protocal stated that I would be taken off of the immunosupprants at 12 months. The DRI (Diabetes Research Institute) decided to hold off for a few months longer to glean more data. The hope of the protocol was that the donor bone morrow would aid in anti-rejection. During this time I still needed to take insulin injections and monitor my bloodsugars. I was never able to get completely off insulin. However, my body was working more efficently and I required about 60% less insulin than prior to the Implant.

I will try to answer any more questions later as I am cooking dinner right now.

jwd Type I since 1963
 03/02/2009 08:07 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hey there JWD - I was trying to find your post that you talked about in your blog - but it got "bumped" by another posting - but ahh haa - I have found you - and you are a femme fatale such as myself (couldn't tell by your JWD). I am a pumper as well - only 1 year now - but enjoying it. What kind of pump do you use (maybe we can talk about it in the Pumping Section of the forum later?)

I am so glad to see another motorcycle enthusiast on board (I've owned BMW's all my life - along with a few other Japanese machines).

So, won't take away from the subject here - as I'm anxious to hear your answers to Doris's questions!

Hope to see you on the open roads this summer and look forward to more of your scribbles here on the board!!! I think you can teach a few of us newer diabetics a thing or two I'm sure!!
 03/02/2009 04:40 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Welcome to Diabetes1. I would sure love to hear about your 20 months. Were they insulin free months?? How bad were the side effects from the immunosuppressants? Were they steroids? Did they cause noticeable insulin resistance. I understand even kidney transplant patients need to come off the meds eventually due to side effects such as bone damage.

Thank you for trying ... research wouldn't go too far without people willing to take the risk.

Doris J. Dickson
 03/02/2009 03:19 PM

Author Icon
JWD

This is my 1st post as a diabetes1 member. I am a 46 year vetern Type I with the usual list of complications. I have been active in the "Cure Type I Community" by being the 1st person in the USA to receive an Islet Cell Implant along with Bone Marrow IV Infusion (from the same cadaver donor). This was done on September 11, 1998 in Miami, FL at the Jackson Memorial Medical Center with the Diabetes Research Institution (DRI). I rejected after 20 months when I was taken off the immunosuppressant drugs. The experience changed my life. Now I control my diabetes with my 2nd insulin pump. It is not perfect, but it does make living a "normal" life much easier.

As to travel as a Type I, do not let it stop you. I spent last spring in Europe by myself for a month. It was my 50th B-Day gift from my husband, Dan. Also I ride motorcycles, my husband does not, and I have taken several long distance trips on my own. I have 2 Harley-Davidsons, an antique 1976 FLH shovelhead bagger and a 2005 RoadKing EFI Police Bike. With the pump, it makes it easier for me to travel on my own or with others, especially when several time zones are involved.

As to cures, I am not convinced that Islet Cells are the Holy Grail I think it will most likely involve Stem Cells or maybe a combination of the two. I am hopeful with a new administration in the White House that a cure will be found.

Happy Trails to you all. jwd
 04/14/2008 05:12 PM

Author Icon
ekc

Which pump are you using? I've been doing some research but I'm still not sold on one over another at this point. I am really active so portability is important to me as well as the ability to still participate in activities I enjoy. I agree that travel with diabetes is difficult. Being called out for a personal inspection is almost a given. As long as you give yourself plenty of time and travel with understanding companions it's tolerable.
 03/26/2008 05:30 AM

Author Icon
agc814

I agree that it is genetic and so sometimes are the complications. I have had diabetes for over 40 years. Diagnosed when I was 9. No one in my family and we went back four generations had ever had the disease. Not type 1 or Type 2. I am basically complication free and since going on the pump the retinopathy that I had has reversed itself so I am no longer worried about losing my sight. I think until a cure is found, the pump works great. Especially now that there is a pump that does not have tubing. I can actually leave my house for short periods of time without the pump unit. I think one of the hardest things about diabetes is all the paraphenalia that you need to carry with you. When I travel it is so much fun trying to get through airport security. My carryon bag goes through the x-ray machine at least three times and then sometimes it is searched.
 03/03/2008 08:59 PM

Author Icon
gkelly

Diabetes has a genetic component. My niece has it. With proper medication, diet, and exercise, most
people can live long lives with it. I was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 12. I am now 44 and am virtually complication-free. That is 32 years. If you want to control your condition, you will avoid complications. Also, when you say "died of the same disease"....diabetes is more an "insufficiency of insulin" than really a "disease". And "dying of it", as sad as that is, can be staved off with the proper treatment and right outlook. Have hope!

The best treatment is strict control and education. You also have to see the "good" of Diabetes. That is,
this condition will force you to be healthier, and not to take life for granted.
 12/31/2007 12:45 PM

Author Icon
NattyB

The reason so many people are being diagnosed is not due to water or atmoshphere, it is strictly coincident. I am 16 years old and I have had diabetes for 12 years now and I was the only one in my whole family up until a year ago my grandfather was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is found in generally older people, i myself have type 1, Insulininsulindependent. no one really knows the cause of diabetes, but being over weight is a facter because ur body cant fight the food intake. the reason so many of your relatives have them may be because they are elder, and it does tend to run in families. sometimes it skips a generation and other times it doesn't, sometimes u are the first to have it adn u are the one to pass it on and sometimes u are the last or only one to have it. no one really knows, butrest asure it is not the way\ter or atmosphere around you.
 12/31/2007 12:44 PM

Author Icon
panda

question 1 What are the effects of using anti reject drugs for the rest of your life? question 2 i discovered that i had diabetes at the age of 30. my younger brither at the age of 20. my mother at 60. my aunt at 70. my grangfather on my father's side at 60. we lived in the country on a farm. three of our neighbours died of the same disease, within a distance of a one mile radius. a girl at my infant school from the nearby village was diabetic and another girl got it when she was about 15. i'm talking about a place in the countryside in england with only a few inhabitants. how come. the drinking water, the food we ate, the air we all breathed. can you tell me?

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Vlog: Gene K on Essentials of Diabetes Management
Vlog: Gene Kelly on Essentials of Diabetes Management
Gene discusses the essentials of diabetes management- carb counting, understanding ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Sep 20, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.