Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Cures for Diabetes?
Created On: 12/31/2007 12:41 PM

05/03/2012 04:49 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Hmmm, your website looks interesting "gooddiet026"! Are you a diabetic yourself (Type 1, 2, LADA, MODY )?[br][br]Though there is more simply getting diabetes then "by inheritance" or eating. The type I have - is an autoimmune disease which last a lifetime. I've had people come up to me and say - "you must have eaten alot of candy to get diabetes" and I just groan - and go into my D-education bit <lol>. I like to joke and say that my pancreas just packed its bags - and went on a looonnng holiday without me (sob). Of course, insulin is a hormone that helps us get our energy from the foods we eat. So in order to stay alive, we take multiple dosage injections (MDI), or use an insulin pump.[br][br]Now, with Type 2, maybe this is what you mean by "inheritance". Often, if a family member has it, a person is more susceptible to getting it but doesn't necessarily mean they'll become Type 2. You used to see it more in older folks, but now with people not being as active, eating improperly, not exercising, it's sadly become an epidemic all across our big blue marble, and not just older folks now, but also in children and young adults (see MODY below).[/font][br][br][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Here's a link from Diabetes Forecast that tells you abit more about [url=http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/other-diabetes-lada-or-type-15]LADA[/url] - and also you can find more on [url=http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_mody.html]MODY[/url].[/font][br]
 05/03/2012 03:18 AM

Author Icon
gooddiet026

diabetes is by inheritance or by the food you eat. what you eat is what you are. hope it helps.[br][br]__________________________[br][url=http://dietsforadiabetic.com/]diabetic snacks[/url]
 05/19/2009 08:38 AM

Author Icon
Nuboston

Thanks
 03/08/2009 01:02 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Hi Jackie,

It's OK. I wasn't offended. I was confused. I didn't think I portrayed myself as depressed or lacking humor, etc.

For the record, I'm much more likely to lose my sense of humor because my blood sugar is repeatedly low and interfering with what I'm trying to accomplish. Ya know, those afternoons that the 50's just keep on coming. Nothing dangerous, just a pain in the butt.

And no pump users, a pump wouldn't help because these are circumstances where I'm guessing how much energy versus food versus insulin I need. Pumps can't guess any better than I am. And since I use 1/2 units and/or diluted insulin, I can get down to miniscule amounts if necessary.

For me the solution is closer to eat protein only, take no rapid acting insulin and proceed.

Does pain cause me to lose my sense of humor? It's annoying but 1) It runs in the family (diabetes or not) so I've learned not to whine about it - bitching is OK, whining is not. There's a difference. 2) Tolerance builds up over time. My pain tolerance is apparently pretty high. 3) Many times I have learned to adapt HOW I do things. 4) Then there are the f' it times. I know I shouldn't lift a heavy box but no one else is around so ... it gets where it is going whether it likes it or not and I feel like a "real man" again!

I think my chutzpah gets me beyond these stumbling blocks still have my sarcastic humor intact.

Doris J. Dickson
 03/07/2009 02:38 PM

Author Icon
JWD

Oh Doris I am so sorry if I offended you in any way. I guess my assumption that anyone with pain is a person who may have lost their sense of humor is a faulty one. So forgive my offensive bluntness. I hope you can understand that my heart is in a good place.

jwd T1 since 1963
 03/05/2009 08:11 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi Jackie - I can't seem to PM you here on the board - I'll give you my email addy - so you can give me some more details on your bike. To own a Harley - what a dream .... sigh ....

Hopefully I've scrolled down enough - so the info below doesn't show up on the Home page of Diabetes1.org for all to see -
annkiff at yahoo dot ca
 03/05/2009 04:36 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Hi,

I thought I said "major" complications; if I didn't, I should have. Most doctors don't count frozen shoulder or trigger finger int he complication department anyway.

Gastro problems - I had a spastic colon (now called IBS) long before my juvenile onset diagnosis. I was 5 when I started with that and stomach problems run in the family. (However, that was entirely stress related or should I say dysfunctional family related. I have an uncle 2 years younger than I am. After he was born Doris was not exactly necessary in her grandparents eyes. I was, among other things, frequently sent to stand in the corner by my grandfather. He had no use for me until I grabbed a basketball when I was 11 or 12. I had to take medication to calm me down just so my mother could drag me over there. It was not pleasant.)

The spastic colon came back in my 20's. I also had a very acidic stomach in my 20's and early 30's which were likely attributed to achieving "recommended" blood sugar levels. Gotta love those target 6's! That is long gone. As far as I know, I've never been symptomatic of gastroparesis. Oh ... I have a screwed up thyroid and some of the stomach problems (a constipation cycle) can easily be attributed to that. But again, this stuff is gone and went away with blood sugar normalization thanks to Dr. Bernstein.

The frozen shoulder started before I found Dr. Bernstein and normalized my blood sugar (my 85 target and 5.1 A1Cs). After incurring lots of physical therapy debt and getting bad attitudes from hospitals relative to blood sugar targets during surgery, I, so far, refuse to have surgery to fix the bone spur and rotator cuff tear ... the frozen shoulder can't heal as long as the secondary issues hang around. Most insurance companies will not pay for frozen shoulder manipulation under anesthesia anyway - because it doesn't work. Can't say I'd be happy having pins in my shoulder or the person you had the blind date with.

I don't use pain meds, sleeping meds or anything else ... herniated cervical disc, frozen shoulder, tendonitis in both hips and all. It is what it is and I live with. Pain threshold seems to rise with time. I have friends and family members not so fortunate who live on pain meds, patches and implanted pain units. I watch sitcoms such as Mash to make myself laugh. Friends ... not so much.

Not sure why you think I need help to get rid of the pain and/or to laugh though ... just not sure where the advice came from but thanks.
 03/05/2009 03:09 PM

Author Icon
JWD

Anna, have I got a motorcycle for you! How about a 100% original (paint job and all) antique Harley-Davidson. I am the third owner and have been riding this bike for over 20 years now. It is a beautiful bike and runs strong. My husband bought me the RoadKing 2 years ago and wants me to sell my shovelhead. But, it is like giving up a child and difficult to part with. But, if a diabetic woman were to own her then I might feel different. Happy Trails.

jwd
diabetic since 1963
 03/05/2009 02:48 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Jackie - I agree - most people think I am a very healthy diabetic - and that I don't "look" like one (I have a 3rd eye in my forehead along with DDD tattoed in my hairline - wanna look and see? <lol>). I describe to them that my blood is like battery acid hitting parts of metal - sizzle. Internally with the way our blood sugars are - if they're high - sizzle to the kidneys, sizzle to the eyes - they get the drift at that point. I'm not univ grad or anything (just a Jill of all Trades that's gone to the uni of life) - so can't use fancy words -so it's the best way I can describe my conditon to most folks - without going over their heads with fancy wording, etc.

I guess like Doris - I suffer from frozen shoulder (FS) due to long term diabetes - had my right shoulder torqued - thankfully whilst in la la land in the OR. Physio hadn't helped - and it was getting expensive - so resorted to the surgical method. Now, since undergoing mastectomy - where I had to be immobile for awhile (it sucked - hard to reach for my wine glass at times) - I have developed FS in my left shoulder - but I am trying to do my own exercises that I've found both here on Body1 as well as ones given to me by my therapist. Finding an ortho is proving to be like hitting my head on a brick wall - as I've been trying since August 2007 to see one - but no luck. Canadian health system has it's ups / downs at times - we're losing all the good ones to the United States!

Am in total agreement that you have to laugh your way thru' what we go thru' with diabetes - it's the only way to survive. Some people have told me I should be a stand up comedian with some of my witty comments that come out of my mouth / fingertips.

Wow tho' - that you and Doris both have gastro issues. I think I have a stomach/pipe work that is built of steel - I can eat/drink just about anything - and no probs ... yet.

Bike ride sounds like a plan (Doris - I can loan you my Yamaha 400) - was planning on getting a bigger bike - since my on/off road bike isn't really built for long distance (vibrations thru' handlebars are a real killer). Was looking at getting a bigger bike (used in really good condition which is how we buy all our 2 / 4 wheels) - but we've had to put that dream on hold - with the way the economy is right now.
 03/05/2009 02:25 PM

Author Icon
JWD

Big Wow! Doris you say that you do not have complications, however I consider frozen shoulder and gastric difficulties as complications. Non-chronicall ill people have little to no idea how difficult it is to function from day to day. Because most diabetics do not look ill, many individuals assume we are faking it or making it sound worse than it really is for us. But, I too, have gastic difficulites. I am sick to my stomach about 70% of the time. To date, I have not found a legal, prescription medication to fix the problem. Most of the time when I think about the "Business of Medicine" I believe that diabetics are "Cash Cows" that bring in millions of dollars a year. If there was a cure than the flood of money would stop.

I too have problems with my right shoulder. I have pins and staples holding the joint together. In 1979, I was on a blind date when the car we were riding in crashed. I flew out of the vehicle and dislocated my right shoulder, smashed my left humous which shreded my radial nerve causing the loss of function in my left hand for 9 months, broke my pelvic bone and almost lost my left eye. To date I have broken 19 bones in my body. Pain is a way of life for me.

In the Fall of 2007 I spent 2 months at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I was able to stay with a friend while I went to the Pain Rehabiliation Clinic (PRC) and saw my various doctors. I was able to stop taking hard-core pain meds and gained my sense of humor back. Now, my humor is the weapon I use against pain and discomfort. It is the only medicine that I have found without side effects. Doris, how one would go about using humor as medicine is a difficult questions. I would suggest starting with movies and books that make you laugh until you cry. Also, friends that one can laugh with has been very benefical for me.

Anna, let's go riding! My female friends and I are planning a bike trip for women. The little town that we live in has witnessed our male biker friends take two bike trips every year to Drummond Island. This ritual as existed for over 30 years. We women thought it was time to plan our own trip!

I am currently using the Minimed Paradigm Pump. Anna, I love that you have named your pump and I love the name you picked.

JWD
Jackie Warren Demijohn
Diabetic since 1963

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Monitor Blood Glucose Part 2
How To Check- Blood Glucose Monitoring
Tips for using your meter to check your blood glucose level, including ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Sep 15, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.