Forum

>
Topic Title: DTREAT conference
Created On: 07/14/2009 10:41 AM

07/15/2009 09:37 AM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Hi

Well, I guess that depends on each person's definition of "works" doesn't it? This may or may not apply to you (or me) but if someone says it "works" but then have excessive weight gain, insulin resistance, heart disease in their 30's, retinopathy in their 40's and can't feel their feet by 50, it doesn't work. Any choices that cause these type of diabetic features can't possible even feel like it "works".

There are many out there who claim something "works" but end up disabled, fired because of excessive absences, need constant special dispensation, etc. etc.

My definition of "works" is different. Then again, my definition of "complication" is different. It doesn't just mean the few listed in the textbooks. The definition of "complication" in the dictionary means every last one of us has dealt with complications from even prior to diagnosis. Anything that complicates our lives is a complication. So ...

Even I don't think that all of the choices I make "work." At least I admit that when I do something that I know has a good probably of causing a problem (even if it is a random high or low), it's cheating and I will pay a consequence sooner or later. I'd be in total denial if I thought otherwise.

Doris J. Dickson
 07/14/2009 11:10 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Doris asked: "So how can diabetes, if managed properly, be in the background? It has to be attended to regularly or you wind up with a problem - high blood sugar or passing out come to mind."

FatCatAnna replied: "I have diabetes. It doesn't have me This is my "philosophy of life" - it works for me just as yours does."

P.S. Hope you found the video of the DTREAT conference as uplifting as I did :)
 07/14/2009 02:51 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

I have a slightly different philosophy. I believe diabetes must come first in my life or there will be no healthy life or quality anything else.

I've been wondering how Judge Sotomayer is sitting there without a glucose meter or her insulin on the table at the Senate hearing. I haven't watched today but yesterday they broke for lunch around 11:30 or 11:45 and came back a few hours later. I don't by the way think she uses a pump or a CGMS but I can't swear to that.

I operate with my glucose monitor in front of me or at least in my possession at all times. I test almost hourly especially for several hours after a meal. I do not take one large dose of insulin for a meal and thus ... in these hearings, and the amount of time she is sitting there, I would need to test and take insulin.

So ... I would say my diabetes would have to rule my life if put in a position like this. To that end, I have tested my blood sugar in front of interviewers and explained I need to take insulin if that's what is necessary. I will NOT allow my blood sugar to get out of control because it looks bad.

So how can diabetes, if managed properly, be in the background? It has to be attended to regularly or you wind up with a problem - high blood sugar or passing out come to mind.

Again, this is my philosophy and I'm sticking to it. My kidneys and eyes seem to be very happy with the whole thing.

Doris J. Dickson
 07/14/2009 10:41 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Just last month - 47 young adults came together at Villanova University to participate in the first DTREAT conference. The conference was brought to fruition by a group of young leaders in the diabetes field that had been chosen by the staff at DECA (Diabetes Education and Camping Association).

I would have loved to attended something like this 30 years ago.  It's funny, one of the participants makes reference to their grandmother who had diabetes 30 years ago - and it made me feel sooooo old - but it was interesting to hear them talk about diabetes and what they knew and were learning at this conference.  Let's just say - that today's generation will hopefully do well with all that was presented.

One thing as well, a young girl said that what she had gotten out of this conference was seeing diabetics that had diabetes fo a long time (she said 20 years) - and the fact that these people did not let diabetes rule their lives.  I am in total agreement with that girls statement.  As this is how I have always lived with my diabetes - it does not rule my life - it's in the background!

Here is the link for the video - it's a 9 minute feature - but well worth the time to watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Pelz9Rq-Q

For more information on DTREAT, visit the DTREAT Facebook page, call DECA at 866-980-3222, or visit the website at www.diabetescamps.org

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Vlog: Gene Kelly on Insulin Pumps
Vlog: Gene Kelly on Insulin Pumps
Gene gives advice to diabetics considering an insulin pump. He talks about ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 18, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.