Forum

>
Topic Title: Who reuses syringes?
Created On: 10/17/2008 04:54 PM

10/18/2008 11:45 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi Doris!

Wow - 12-15 shots a day! When I was using the MDI method (have been using pump for almost a year now) - I usually averaged about 5-8. It all depended on how my blood sugars were going. I used Lantus e.g. Basal rate (a.m./p.m.) and NovoRapid e.g. Bolus (meal times - and to correct a BS due to miscalculating a meal shot). People used to think I was crazy injecting that often - but hey - our poor mans pump method works!!! I would explain to them how needles used to be in my younger days - meant for an elephants arse IMHO not a human being like ourselves. At one point - when I lived in England for a short time - I had to sharpen my needle (had a glass syringe which you had to sterilize in boiling water). My parents were still living in Canada - and I would call them up collect (not too often) - to plead with them to send me a bag or two of disposable syringes (they were very expensive to purchase in England back in the '80's). Things have improved so much more since then and we have moved out of the dark ages!

I still do use the MDI from time to time. I use a pen for injecting my insulin tho' - unlike yourself where from how I'm reading your words - you use bottled - which I believe is cheaper to purchase in the US then the vials for the pen needle. With the pen needle you do have a better choice for "finer" needles. I presently use a 32G 6 mm (short) needle to inject with. I find it's good for up to 5 shots (sometimes I forget to count - and oops - when I inject it feels a bit "rough" - as the needle tip develops burrs). I know that newbie diabetics are told to only use the needle once - but even some medical folks I've talked to say "hey - we have to say this - but if you want to reuse the same needle multiple times - as long as you DO NOT SHARE - you are fine"). I guess it depends on the persons pain threshold.

Just curious Doris - why do you use so many different insulin's? I am thinking that you may have other medical conditions (don't we all!) - that may affect the absorption of the insulin to properly maintain your blood sugars and life in general. When I was MDI - I averaged 7.0 for A1C - since being on the pump (went on it due to hypos and wanting tighter control) - last A1C was 5.9.

Anna from Montreal
 10/17/2008 04:54 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Newly diagnosed people are, of course, told to not reuse syringes but what veterans like me actually do?

I take 12-15 shots per day. I couldn't be bothered carrying that many syringes and I can't afford it either. BC/BS Mass will only pay for 8 per day.

Not that I'm particularly upset by that. I just use separate syringes for each type of insulin (four at this point). I do not put air in the bottle after the first use to cut down on contamination.

I reuse a Humalog or Apidra for about one day. Levemir and Regular syringes probably get a few days more than that. If they don't get dirty, bent or dull I don't care. Almost thirty-two years later and I've either been fortunate or it's just not that big deal as long as you carefully put the cap back on. I guarantee it isn't because I have an awesome immuned system --- otherwise I wouldn't have juvenile onset diabetes in the first place!

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Your Treat Medication Part 8
Hypoglycemia-Treatment Plan: Diabetes Medications
Overview of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), including causes, symptoms, ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.