Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Diabulimia
Created On: 08/05/2009 01:01 PM

12/21/2009 11:40 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

[p]Sparks-[/p][p]Britney Murphy was a very talented woman. I hope she didn't accidentaly overdose on her medication. Per the reports on the TV and other media outlets she had been sick. I am not sure if she took medication with another and didn't know the affects of doing so. I was diagnosed with Type 1.5/LADA in June of 2004, I never paid attention to what the pamplets said about medication reactions until then. The crazy thing about diabetes is it taught me how to take better care of myself and be proactive in my care. I just hope Ms. Murphy had a bad reaction and not a overdose. The media said she had Type 2 diabetes, I doubt she had Type 2. We can speculate about diabetes but I don't think people should try to use diabetes as a scape goat. [/p][p]She could have experience a DKA? it sounds like she had the symptoms. I'm not sure and the person who knows that happened isn't here anymore. Sorry for the ramblings,[/p][br][p]Cherise[/p]
 12/21/2009 12:04 PM

Author Icon
spark

[p]I'm not entirely sure what picture you were trying to post 19556, but here is a recent picture of Brittany Murphy:[/p][p][img=248x250]http://iamthelostgirl.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/brittany-murphy-newjpg2.jpg[/img][/p][p]In response to your post however... some news articles are now saying that she may have had a history of type 2 diabetes. [url=http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/21/brittany-murphy-cardiac-arrest-diabetes-vomit-autopsy-coroner/]According to TMZ[/url] though (not entirely sure how reliable they are in this instance but regardless, they've got more information than I do), it is unlikely her condition was related or caused her death. One thing they do point out however, was the abundance of prescription medication found all over the house. Personally, I find her death to be rather tragic- a big fan of her in "Clueless" and "8 Mile", I was a big fan of her as an actress. Had I known prior to her death that she was in fact the voice for "Gloria" in "Happy Feet", I would have been a fan of her as a singer as well. But I digress. [/p][p]My point in bringing up her untimely death is to point out a serious trend that seems to be emerging with many people, celebrities (i.e. Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger) and the general public alike. The (over)use of prescription medication. In both Brittany Murphy and Michael Jackson's deaths, the discovery of an abundance of prescription meds have made more complicated the investigation into the cause of deaths for each celebrity. I think more attention should be paid to the type and amount of prescription medication made available to every patient, as well as making sure to inform them of all possible complications and issues which may accompany the drug. Or maybe less medication should be prescribed overall? How many diabetics are actually aware of all the possible health/drug complications associated with their particular medication?[/p]
 12/21/2009 11:03 AM

Author Icon

[p][img]http://ams.body1.com/assets/19556/80px-Brittany_Murphy.jpg[/img][/p][p][font size="1"]Photo: Daniel Case [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/338181203]http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/338181203[/url][/font][/p][p][font size="1"]The untimely death of stick thin actress Brittany Murphy raises this issue again- as background, she suffered and died from cardiac arrest at age 32. In young people that is typically caused by 1 of 2 things- drug abuse; or anorexia/ bulimia (eating disorders). Maybe both. [/font][/p][p][font size="1"]Is it an issue of cotrol? & is it a similar circumstance to insulin skipping for weight reduction? Perhaps with T1 diabetes as an adoloescent is the desire to feel "in control" of your body when part of it feels "out of control" - & maybe a similar psychology to someone in a high pressure situation where so much of their perceived "value" is based on an unrealistic body image... [/font][/p][p][font size="1"]Just musing out loud... [/font][/p]
 08/05/2009 01:01 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I found Laura Leon's article she wrote on July 28th, 2009 - http://www.diabetes1.org/News/...Can_Threaten_Your_Life to be worthy of opening up for
discussion here in the forums at Diabetes1.
When I was 13 years old back in the '70's - I went thru' what is now medically called "diabulimia" (everything we know of in the past has medical names now doesn't it?). I was trying to fit in with others in my age group and be "normal". A year of missing insulin from time to time, not eating properly due to wanting to shed weight, or testing my urine / ketones that often (no BG monitors in those days) - ended up tossing me into ER like a rag doll with DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis). I'd been frequently ill over the year with what my parents thought was flu - but it was my body trying to rid itself of all the toxins (ketones) due to uncontrolled diabetes.
I went into a coma for 3 days - head shaven afterwards - not fun for my family - especially my Mum as she was put to blame by the doctors for how I'd gotten this way. Due to my Mum working, I had been attending doctors appointments by myself since the age of 10 - no fault of her own - bills had to be paid - she trusted me that I was doing the right thing. Sigh.
A1C's prior to this happening did indicate something wasn't wrong - but I never told my parents when I'd come back from my visits with my endo.
I think now with how much support there is out there for diabetics - especially since the Internet - hopefully this doesn't happen too often. One of the forums I belong to has many youngsters on it - and I hope that with my ways of getting my message across - that I can help anyone who feels like going into the "dark zone" to avoid that path way.
I am very lucky that I had no ill effects of what I put my body thru' for that time period. Only thing was long term memory - which sometimes trickles back - but many childhood memories - gone forever.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
What is Diabetes? (Part 1)
What is Diabetes? (Part 1) Overview
An overview of blood glucose, insulin, and the science behind diabetes ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 18, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.