Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: First signs of Type 1
Created On: 02/21/2008 11:09 AM

06/07/2011 02:20 PM

Author Icon
Body1Michelle

[br]To all: [br]These are very powerful stories and it is great that you all are sharing them. Please always feel free to go to the Education Center to look at conditions, tests, monitoring, treatements, and insulin pumps. [br][url=/Education_Center/Conditions]http://www.diabetes1.org/Education_Center/Conditions[/url][br][br]They may help you answer some of your current and future questions. [br]
 04/13/2009 09:36 AM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Hi Gabriel.

Welcome to Diabetes1.

May I ask where you grew up and what year this was?

I was diagnosed in 1976 and it took them all of few minutes to realize, based on symptoms, that I had diabetes. I was still awake but I had lost 10 pounds in short order, was sick as a dog and according to my sister, I smelled like death. I didn't know that until last year by the way. I did know that the fruity smell is disgusting, so, I'm guessing that's what my sister was referencing.

My point ... I'm stunned the doctors didn't notice the symptoms before they added glucose to an IV (which obviously caused your coma). Even just looking at things like thirst, urine output, urine odor and urine color should have been enough for a trained professional to figure it out.

I'm sorry you had to go through that!

Again, welcome to Diabetes1.
 04/13/2009 12:47 AM

Author Icon
iqphantom

Hello everyone and very nice to meet you.
My name is Gabriel and I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type one when I was 14.
I had a problem with a tooth which turned into infection. My white cells level was sky high and although I was treated with antibiotics my body didn’t respond to the treatment. I lived in a small town and after being hospitalized, because I haven’t eaten for several days they put on glucose suspension before doing my blood work.
The labs were quite primitive then and it took about 5 hours to get a result for blood glucose level.
By that time I went into a hyper glucose coma and stood like that for 3 hours.
I was transported to the district hospital and got insulin treatment .I got a little better and started to handle my new life.
It wasn’t easy since my parents were very scared not knowing anything about diabetes and it was very hard for them to adapt.
Since then has been 17 years of insulin treatment. I feel fine, glucose level values are stable, I monitor my glucose level permanently, I have a healthy alimentation, and I exercise and have a normal life.
 10/14/2008 04:18 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 6. It took about 6 months for my parents to realise something was up. I remember they were told by their GP I had low iron - so they were cooking up liver for almost every meal I ate (ugh - I now like it) - and on top of that these horrible liver pills that I couldn't swallow. Instead I would chew them - and I'd be rewarded with a candy <lol> - go figure. I was losing weight as well - my clothing was not staying on quite right - and I was hungry all the time. At one point I had snuck into a friends house when they were away for the w/e - climbed up on their kitchen counter to scout the cupboards for food! I always wonder if they noticed any food missing (they had good food in their cupboards) and I feel slightly embarrassed telling you this - but what the heck! Along with drinking water like a horse - going inbetween neighbours houses to take a pee - wetting the bed at night (my Mum got really angry with me!!!) - well - I think my Mum started to realise that something was not quite right. There was no children's hospital (this is back in the late 60's) close by - so I spent about 2 weeks in a hospital ward with older diabetics (Type 2) - and I think to this day - this is why I get along with the "mature" generation. I did find out later that diabetes was on my Mum's side of the family - my great grandmother had died in her 90's and they discovered she had diabetes then.
 05/05/2008 04:04 PM

Author Icon
supermom912

The good news is you were diagnosed and now can monitor and test to make sure you stay on the right path. After the initial shock of diagnosis, how did things go? Are you in the living with diabetes groove now?
 03/15/2008 08:36 PM

Author Icon
JustaStudent

I remember this vividly since it was only last May. My family was getting ready to move and I was probably the most reluctant of the 4 of us to do so. Since I would be transfering schools I needed to get a physical done. The apointment went like this.
"Hello, I am a new doctor here. I am 27 years old and just got out of college," she explained.
So she leaves the room and two more nurses come in to take some tests. One pulls out a glucometer and takes my reading. We put in the blood and it registers as High. Now the nurse, seeming surprised, tests it again to get the same result.
The doctor quickly comes back to ask about me. She asks my symptoms. I told her I have been using the bathroom a lot and drinking a lot. She then comes right out to it and says I have diabetes. Needless to say we were pretty shocked. She tells us to go to the hospital ASAP and bring clothes because I would be staying there a while. My mom, sister, and I decided to have dinner before going to the hospital. We stopped at my favorite restoraunte and I ordered a regular Coke (why, you might ask, I don't know it seemed like a good idea at the time).
Pre-diagnosis, my mom thought that I was only getting nervous because of the big move. However now that I think back on it I do see many of the symptoms such as waking up in the middle of the night to take a trip to the bathroom. I even took a 4 day class trip to Washington D.C. a month before being diagnosed.
 02/21/2008 11:09 AM

Author Icon
supermom912

The first clue we had to our teenage daughter's type 1 diabetes was her passing out one evening at home. In the emergency room she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes which came as a shock to us. The doctors there were able to point out to us a number of hints that could have made us aware that something was wrong - including increased thirst and that she was getting tired more easily. Do other people have similar experiences they could share that might help us all?

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Vlog: Manny Hernandez on Type I and II Diabetes
Vlog: Manny Hernandez on Type I and II Diabetes
Manny Hernandez of tudiabetes.com dicusses the similarities and differences ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Oct 18, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.