Topic Title: Insulin pump gives lethal dose to 27 year old man in Canada
Created On: 08/25/2009 11:44 PM

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/28/2014 01:37 PM

Author Icon
ajtowne

If you are unsure if the pump malfunctioned do not send it to mini med. Contact the law office of Matt Harmon, he is handling several cases of this nature. You can find him on the Internet. He is trust worthy and though and knows a lot about the pump. You can also file a complaint with the FDA as there is a class 1 recall of some pumps.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/13/2014 10:47 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Glad you are alright. Are you wearing an insulin pump?

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
 12/13/2014 07:58 AM

Author Icon
johngeorge

I sympathize with the incidents. I would like to share mine which took place a year back when I was caught with a severe heart attack and my neighbour saved me who was pursuing his paramedic refresher course. He helped me with the medical aid on the route to hospital. I have not recovered completely but would have been into a much bad condition if that paramedic was not at the rescue.

09/06/2013 03:10 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I had written a blog at my private blog site a few months ago - about Amanda*, an RN - who was found unconscious at her home last summer (2012). I was once again at the IP (Insulin Pumpers) meeting in Cornwall, Ontario a few days ago - where she had been highly involved (there are over TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY insulin pumpers in the area!). A few of the members in attendance asked about her. I found out the lastest info from Amanda's friend yesterday - and just now sent out an email to them - informing them of her condition. She still can't get over the fact that Amanada was a 1 (18) when paramedics got into her locked house. How long, we're not sure - but her pump had 6 hours of date missing from it. Last time my friend went to see her - she found it very hard to see her friend in this state (she is able to move arms - but not able to make sense when talking). Amanda is now in a long term care facility - her parents are fighting a legal battle with the pump manufacturer - and again - as Martin stipulates below in this forum thread - do NOT send your pump if it goes back to the pump manufacturer before having a third party test it first - you will never know the truth. I can't reiterate this enough - and let your loved ones know of this wish - so they can assure the pump is not whisked away without your knowledge from your body. I pray that none of you go thru' what some diabetics have gone thru' over the years - who have written to me privately - or allowed me to share their stories to you.* Name changed to protect privacy

Type 1 since 1967
 07/05/2013 02:46 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Martin!!! I have tried locating your group on Facebook with no success - until I hear back from you - I will not be releasing the info via the social media that I'm deeply involved in due to my work here at Diabetes1.org . I did send a private mesage to the one Martin Altizer that I could find that is registered on FB. You can also find me on FB - under the same name that I go by here - FatCat Anna - if we are not already friends - friend me - I can hopefully help you - otherwise my hands are tied at the moment.

Type 1 since 1967
 07/03/2013 01:28 AM

Author Icon
desertscout53

Don't, repeat DON't return the pump to Medtronics- these people lie through their teeth, and once you give up the pump, they will say there is nothing wrong with it, he must have made a mistake , etc. I have started a Facebook page, Insulin Pump Deaths, please copy and paste your information on Andy to it, and give me a 'like'. If you know of anyone else using the pump, that has had ANY type of problem, please ask them to post and like, also.Medtronics customer service and legal dept told me that my wife's death was the first they had heard of this problem- 2 year' after your son's death. They were extremely concerned if I had hired counsel- so much so that I balked at giving up the pump, and am moving on blogging or posting information any and everywhere I can. I'm going to translate it into every language where Medtronics sell these devices. . My goal is a complete recall and issuance of a differant model to everyone who uses one of the MMT series, and a fair compensation to the families of all who lost a loved one.My e-mail address is If you write, please put PUMP DEATHS or DIABETIC PUMPS in the subject line, in caps, so I can find it- I get so much in the way of tech and info mail, make it junp off the screen. Should you wish to call, my cell is 575-694-4230- anytime! Ask or tell your health care organization of what's happening, cast a wide net...let's have justice, not corporate indifferance . Most of their pumps work just fine- 'til the one time you may not come back from.My deepest sympathy on the loss of your son Andy. Let's paint these folks into a corner where ther is no retreat.Martin B. Altizer
 07/02/2013 05:50 PM

Author Icon
desertscout53

Hi, Anna- I have started a page on facebook, under my name - Martin Altizer- and 'insulin pump deaths'. Please circulate this info among your membership, if anyone has lost a loved one due to a runaway Medtronics pump. There is a strong probability that all case may be tolled, or, have the statute of limitations removed. Please note- do NOT return the pump to Medtronics- they have lied to me about the number of occurrences, telling me my wife was the first instance,I am working with my elected representatives from New Mexico, one of whom is on the FDA oversight commitee. I intend to paint Medtronics into a corner, require them to replace the complete series of pumps, and make at least a $500k compensation to families.If I can't do this through legal channels, I have some plans for extra-legal operations that will at least bring this issue to public attention.Have a wonderful and sfe 4th with your family, and, God bless us, each and every one. Freedom from corporate corruption and tyranny!Martin
 05/13/2013 12:34 PM

Author Icon
ajtowne

Martin,I spoke with a local lawyer in PA who got us in touch with an attorney in Philly who deals in these kinds of cases. I sent them the info I had and they said it was not enough to file a case. I also contacted a lawyer on line and they said the same. As I stated in my online comment we did not have an autopsy done, but we still have the pump. It's past the 2 year time line to file, but if there is a problem we can certainly get a warning out so this does not happen to others. Andy was on the pump for 11 years and was very good at dealing with the pump. He had no other health problems, other than diabetes. He was a healthy robust young man.
 05/12/2013 02:15 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Oh Martin - first - I am so so sorry to hear of your wifes passing away due to her pump emptying it's insulin cartridge into her without her knowledge. I am going to pass on your message to a few people I know - who have been having to deal with similar circumstances as you are right now. Hopefully they will be able to help you.

Type 1 since 1967
 05/12/2013 12:26 PM

Author Icon
desertscout53

2-23-11 my wife refilled the syringe for her Medtronics Paradigm, ate diner, then went to bed. An hour later I noticed her breathing was raagged, attempted to wake her and coulld not, checked her BS (28), called EMT's, she was at the ER within 10 minutes, gettin 2 liters of dextrose with an IV in each arm on the way. I had disconnected the tubing at the cannula as I was dialing 911, one of the paramedics examined the pump, and found the cartridge totally empty.She never recoveed from that massive overdose, and passed away 3-17-11 I neede a lawyer, and for everyone who has lost a familiy member to an incident likethis to contact me ASAP.If you e-mail. please put the single word 'Diabetic' in the subject line. If you want to call instead, please o not call before 8:00am Mountain time, but I will he happy to take your call up to midnight.I called Medtronics. I want to have them analyze this pump, but requested a very low settlement in exchange for that return. The next thing I heard from them was, had I retained counsel, which I had not, preferring to deal directly with a company who I still think makes a pretty good product(s). The only concession offered was to pay my way to and allow me to watch the the diagnostic process, adding that tof culpability or intent to make any compensation.his was in no way an admission of responsibility.My wife is dead. Dead as a direct result of a failure of a device of their manufacture. She had used a Medtronics pump since 9-11-01,was quite competant in all facets of its operation During that time, she had to return at least 3, possibly 4 pumps for non-delivery, or a pump refusing to function, or a defective displayMy wife is dead. I was pressured by Kaiser Permante that an autopsy was not needed,as well as pressuring me for permission to remove life support earlier than I would have wanted. If anyone out there is a KP member and was issued a pump of a differant make than Medtronic, I would like to hear from you, also. I suspect a sweet-heart deal for exclusive provision of Medtronics pumps to KP members.Death, serious injury, pump overdoses, and KP members with differant make of pump than Medtronics. I really need to hear from you. And please, if you have or know of an attorney with the the moral fortitude to stand against Medtronics (and maybe Kaiser) let me know who they are, or have them contact me. My case can only be tolled for so long. Martin Altizer * * (575)694-4230
 02/02/2013 10:08 PM

Author Icon
ajtowne

My 29 year old son passed away on March 6, 2011 early in the am from a diabetic seizure. He had filled his pump around noon the day before and it was empty when we got it back. Our suspicion is that it dumped on him. His blood sugar was 186 at 3 am when he last talked to his girlfriend, at 2:30 he had a big pork BBQ sandwich and a glass of milk . The coroner estimated his time of death at 6am. How could he go from 186 to a low bad enough to cause a seizure that killed him in 3 hours. He had not taken any insulin since his dinner the night before, around 6 PM.
This happened to him about 2 weeks before his death, but he was not alone and his girlfriend gave him glucagon and he recovered. Since we did not have a autopsy (we were so distraught we weren't thinking clearly) we have sent info to several lawyers but without an autopsy they said it wasn't a good case.
My son was in excellent health and had no side effects from diabetes after 20 years. He was a strong healthy man, in perfect health except for diabetes.
I wish there was some way I could find out if it was the pump. I still have it, am afraid to send it back to mini med because I'm sure they won't admit any problem. If this is occuring often someone needs to bring this to the attention of the FDA.
Andy was thinking of going off the pump, I only wish we had done that, he might still be with us.
 05/29/2011 10:44 PM

Author Icon
anniemag14

ok anna.. I have the pump somewhere i was pretty upset when all this happend & im not sure where i put it. but i do remember it was empty when i got it back from coroners..I do live in calif. usa.. I wont have the coroners report back for some months from what they say.. I'm calling my local news station next week to let them know about the coroners delay, but thats another situation i have to deal with... His roommate said he had been drinking but not alot on sunday.. He was sick on monday, now being nausous isnt strange for dj because he had stomach problems & cronic diaria due to his diabeties not being under control.. The coroners said if they had to make a guess right now with the info they do have they said he died of natural causes, but they dont have all the info.. D.J. had some health problems due to his diabeties, but alot of people do.. I guess i just have to wait for the report to come back before i take this any farther.. In the mean time i will locate his pump.. My son always knew when he needed to go to the hospital from throwing up, his roommate said he wasnt that sick the day he died...I just have to cover all bases.. I just want answers and if there's a chance this pump that was a medtronic pump is responsible i have to know...thank you for your info. & no i didnt receive your email.. i'll be looking for one though.. thanks again anne
 05/28/2011 11:56 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

No problem Anne - to be on the safe side - I also had sent you a private message (PM) directly to your email address you had shown below. We have the ability here at Diabetes1.org to send PM's. I have more information I'll be forwarding to you shortly (from my Body1 email address) - that will hopefully help you more. Keep us posted as to how this all goes if you don't mind sharing. If you haven't received anything from me yet - check your SPAM folder of your email a/c as it may have ended up in there - if you don't have me in your Contact list. Okay?

Because this info might help others - I'll post below what I will be sending you that I received from someone who has abit of knowledge in this field due to family member being on insulin pump (Medtronic) -

" You need to get a lawyer ASAP. The key will be if you still have the pump (assuming you do?). The lawyer should hire a 3rd party to download the pump readings (particularly the bolus readings). You need to talk with the roommate to see what DJ was doing over the previous 24 hours. As I said to you in a previous email - you will need to retrace his steps.

While there are many problems with the pump, you need more info. I know that you say DJ had poor control and that he'd only been on the pump for only 5+ months. Coroners report will be key, alcohol and other substances need to be ruled out. As for alcohol, the company could say that his ability to operate the pump (i.e. respond to alarms and to recognize a low were impaired). I shouldn't say no lawyer would take the case, but it would definitely be an uphill battle. If all other evidence leads to a malfunction than it might be okay.

I am assuming you live in the US where there are contigency fee basis (ie. lawyers do not charge you anything up front but get a % of any more you get from the company).
"

Edited 17:09 28/05/11

Type 1 since 1967

05/28/2011 12:32 AM

Author Icon
anniemag14

thank you anna but i dont know what a pm is, sorry im computer terrible on the computer thats why i put my email address here because i dont really what im doing once in here sorry..Thank you so much for your help.
 05/27/2011 02:32 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Anne - my heart is broken at reading the news about DJ - I sent you a PM here at Diabetes1.org - make sure you have that open - to be able to receive my email to you. It contains some helpful links. I'll also try sending to your PM you posted in your post below.

Type 1 since 1967

05/26/2011 09:09 PM

Author Icon
anniemag14

Dear AngieNc, My name is Anne. My son dj was a type 1 diabetic diagnosed in 1999. Last Nov/Dec 2010, he was given the pump. Unfortunitly my son never got his blood sugars under control until he got the pump. My son who was 26 yrs. old died April 12 2011. He was in bed & wasnt found by his roommate for at least 10 hours after he died. D.J.s dad got online & looked up diabeties, & came upon this site with your message. He printed it out & gave it to me at my sons memorial. I couldnt get myself to come on this site until now. I'd like more info. on your lawsuit. It's been almost 2 months since his death, & I still havent gotten the coroners report back, they claim they're backed up. Anyway, I dont know what the cause of death is yet, however if his pump is the reason my son is gone I need to get the word out there that this pump is a killer.. My email is please respond so I can find out more about this.. My sons father said there is a lawsuit out there where 1/2 of the people that have passed due to the pump are in their 20s... Thank you for your help sincerely Anne
 05/26/2011 08:55 PM

Author Icon
anniemag14

my name is anne, my 26 yr. old son whos been i diabetic since 1999. He passed away april 12, 2011. He was put on the pump in nov. or dec. of 2010. His father looked diabeties online & found this site.. He told me that alot of young people using the pump have also died, & that there's a law suit going on. I am looking for answers.. My son had been dead 11 hours before being found by his roommates. If this pump had anything to do with his death, I need to speak out to others who use the pump & let them know the dangers of using it.. I anyone out there has had simular situations with the pump please send me a message.. The person my sons father found of interest is AngieNCjsmommy21.. I have not gotten the coroners report back yet, so I don't know exact cause of death, but do know this pump was a good idea & helped get my sons blood sugars under control until my sons death..Thank you for any info. i can get anne
 06/01/2010 01:54 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

So glad that no one was injured! You're like me, always careful with driving, etc. I know right now with doing this experiment of MDI (just taking a break from my insulin pump for abit) - that I'm the brains behind if I goof up with injecting the incorrect insulin (e.g. I use Lantus for basal - NovoRapid for bolus). I always make sure I have the RIGHT pen needle when I do my shot for my basals! Otherwise, I'd be in the same situation as you.

Keep us posted as to how things go. I know in the brief time I've been pumping - that my pump has never done anything like that and Primed all my insulin cartridge into me (mine holds 200 units). Also, with my pump, it's not supposed to Prime more then I think 3 units (will have to look at this again - I've been off pump since April - how the brain can forget things so quickly). Obviously with your pump there was a malfunction in its programming. Was this verified by Medtronic and did they give you a replacement pump?

Good luck!

Type 1 since 1967

05/31/2010 08:50 PM

Author Icon
AngieNCjsMommy21

I experienced the same problem with my medtronic insulin pump twice. The latest incident happening on January 26th, 2010, I was out with my children running errands. I had been experiencing frequent lows but had no idea it had anything to do with my insulin pump until that day. I was out with my children, before I had left my house I ate a big carb filled breakfast and had just changed my set in my pump. I was out shopping and I went into the grocery store with my kids. I don't remember anything after that except waking up in the back of an ambulance. It seems my pump went into prime mode and had injected all my insulin in while shopping in the store. My blood sugar level dropped drastically and quickly. My kids said I got very disoriented but didnt realize what was happening. My oldest daughter said I put my babies in the carseats and started driving. I crashed my car into the back of someone guys truck. When EMS got to the scene, I was unconscious and my blood sugar was 20. It took 2 shots of D50 to get my conscious. My car ended up totalled out but thankfully my kids were fine. I had never had a problem with blood sugars and driving before and now my license is under medical review and I have to appear in court for wreckless driving. I have since filed a lawsuit against medtronic and I am in the process of switching to another insulin pump. I just urge people to be careful of their pumps.

03/03/2010 03:28 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

NEWS UPDATE: I have heard from many individuals since writing about Steven Krueger both in forums and via my blog I had posted. Many have undergone what happened to him where their pump malfunctions, luckily they are still alive to talk about it, but others have died or are in a semi-comatose state. Very sad indeed.

On FRIDAY, MARCH 5TH - An FDA advisory panel meeting on insulin infusion pumps is taking place. Below is the letter that is part of the package you will find at this link ( http://www.fda.gov/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/MedicalDevices/MedicalDevicesAdvisoryCommittee/GeneralHospitalandPersonalUseDevicesPanel/ucm202773.htm )

"The focus of this meeting is a post market safety issue. Therefore, information on the regulatory processes of MDR reporting and device recalls is provided, along with summaries of reported adverse events and past recalls. Training specific to CDRH recall procedures will also be provided to panel members on the morning of the meeting.

Manufacturing firms sometimes need to recall insulin infusion pumps already in use, if defects are detected after devices have been marketed. Over the past several years, there have been a number of recalls of insulin infusion pumps across the industry. We are interested in your thoughts regarding how such recalls may affect patient safety, and ways they can be implemented to minimize risks.

When insulin infusion pumps are recalled, the firm and FDA seek the best way to correct the defect with as little disruption to patient care as possible. In some cases, continued use ofthe defective pump may be an option, depending on the specific circumstances of the recall. The risks / benefits of continued use may also depend on the individual patient's medical condition. We look fonvard to your insights on advice that firms andlor FDA should provide to health care providers and patients on how to balance risks and benefits when considering continued use vs. changing to another insulin delivery option. Input on ways to minimize the risks, if use of the defective product continues, will also be appreciated."

Type 1 since 1967

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Monitor Blood Glucose Part 2
How To Check- Blood Glucose Monitoring
Tips for using your meter to check your blood glucose level, including ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Aug 19, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
test