Forum

>
Topic Title: Type 1 Diabetes 'Reverse Vaccine' passes 1st trial run
Created On: 10/04/2013 05:54 PM

10/21/2013 03:53 PM

Author Icon
AllanW

Anna

I strongly believe that there will eventually be a cure for diabetes. It's easy to get negative and curmudgeonly given how often people have announced, POTENTIAL CURE, and then nothing came from it, but that's just the way science is. People have ideas, sometimes initial tests look awesome and people get really excited, but further testing reveals unforseen issues or reasons why it works in a lab but not animals, or in animals but not people. That doesn't mean the original thing was fake or overblown, just that it didn't work out as hoped. But of course if hopes are dashed too often, it's easy to say about that the new thing, that will be just like all those other times I thought, maybe this time.

So I'm with you. Excited at the possibility and looking forward to hearing more. Maybe this time.
 10/04/2013 06:10 PM

Author Icon
vixialex

I read it back when it came out and I loved it. It's the first study in a while that shows some progress.
 10/04/2013 05:54 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[size= small; font-family: verdana, geneva]What can I say - I'm a sucker for research on finding a CURE for diabetes. Despite some long in the tooth diabetics like myself - who say they're fed up with stories like this. I guess I'm one of those people that always likes to look at a glass 1/2 full (or whatever the saying goes).[/size]

[size= small; font-family: verdana, geneva]This 12 week study involved seeing if the vaccine was working by measuring 80 volunteers' blood for two things - that being the killer cells AND the protein called C-peptide that is helps the body to produce insulin. Testing the blood for C-peptides is often used today to determine if a person is T1D.[/size]

[size= small; font-family: verdana, geneva]The researchers main goal was to eliminate just the immune cells that attack the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas - but not others - that might have side effects and cause more problems.

All the partipants in the study had been diagnosed with T1D within the last 5 years (no children were involved due to safety concerns) - because folks like myself who've had diabetes longer - have long since said good bye to any insuln-producing cells (it's okay - I'm a used to being an "insulin hoarder").[/size]

[size= small; font-family: verdana, geneva]The group that did get the vaccine had higher levels of C-peptides since the killer cells had been backed off by the vaccine. Luckily there were no side effects or safety compromised during the study. And, yes, they did still continue to [/size]

[size= small; font-family: verdana, geneva]This is only the first human study - but it looks promising. If you want to read the more "technical" discussion - just click on the following [url=http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/28/science/la-sci-diabetes-reverse-vaccine-20130627]link[/url] - [/size]

[size= small; font-family: verdana, geneva][url=http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/28/science/la-sci-diabetes-reverse-vaccine-20130627]http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/28/science/la-sci-diabetes-reverse-vaccine-20130627[/url][/size]

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Vlog: An Introduction to Gene Kelly
Vlog: An Introduction to Gene Kelly
Gene introduces himself and talks about his experience over the past 33 ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 22, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.