Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Glucose Transport Inhibitor (or Pee that Extra Blood Sugar)
Created On: 09/16/2009 01:00 AM

09/21/2009 01:56 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Ha Anna,
In one of my FEW trips to see a male physician, I got a lecture on the why men don't get UTI's.  It involved a visual of the length of urethra!  I think I yelled something to the effect of "what the heck do you think got me into this mess in the first place idiot"! 
Anyway ... no men don't tend to get UTIs.  I assume his condescending description was at least technically accurate.
Doris
 09/20/2009 10:41 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hi Comet - I have to admit - not sure about this product for Type 2 diabetics - "peeing your extra BG".  To me that sort of sounds opposite of what we diabetics are trying to do - be it Type 1 or 2.  I can't imagine what the consequences of urinating excess sugar out of your system with a drug like this would do.  For myself, a woman, it would mean [url=http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/daily_living/adults/yeast_infections.html]yeast infections[/url] - which comes from excess sugar in our systems.  God knows what else it would do along the way with sugar in our urine.  I'm not medical expert, just a person like yourself with diabetes, trying to cope with it - but that's how I view this drug that Lexicon Pharma is testing out at the moment.
Here's a question, sort of embarrassing to ask my male friends - but do you suffer from the same sort of thing as we women do when our blood sugars are out of whack?
 09/17/2009 02:36 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

No, I'm afraid your summary didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy knowing what I know and having almost 33 years of experience.
I started parsing the press release.  I strongly suggest Chris ask Dr. Fuller to write his interpretation of the information provided by the manufacturer.  This drug sounds like a scary screwing around with things that shouldn't be screwed around with and not a cure or safe treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Doris
 09/17/2009 12:14 PM

Author Icon
Comet

Doris, the actual press release is now posted here on the Diabetes1.org site: http://www.diabetes1.org/News/...s_with_Type_2_Diabetes . It's a pretty clinical description; hopefully my summary is easier to understand.
 09/16/2009 09:02 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

I hadn't seen this one ... I don't always pay attention to Type 2 gimicks.  And from the little you said, "with good freaking reason" I didn't pay attention to this.
This is the stupidest idea yet.  Blood sugar >170 is the level at which we currently pee out sugar.  This is when we do kidney damage.  This is when we get urinary tract infections and yeast infections (in women).  How's that going to exacerable dehydration- already a problem with many diabetics who run how. 
Have they lost freaking capitalistic marbles?  How on earth is peeing out more glucose going to decrease the concentration of glucose in the blood (which is where high blood sugar lands first)?  How is going to decrease all the inflammatory disease high blood sugar causes? 
I'll have to go look for more detailed technical information to appropriately beat on this idea.  These are just a few of my thoughts off the top of my head!
Plain, capitalistic stupidity.
Doris
 09/16/2009 01:00 AM

Author Icon
Comet

Lexicon Pharmaceuticals reported favorable results today from recently completed Phase 1 studies of their new drug candidate for treating diabetes.   This drug is an oral (not injectable) small molecule (reason it doesn't have to be injected) that inhibits the body's sodium glucose transport mechanism in Type 2 Diabetes by increasing urinary glucose excretion.   

What it means is if it works, a Type 2 diabetic will take a pill and basically pee out their excess blood sugar.   Sounds like a good thing, but I wonder how much extra load that will put on the kidneys?   Sugar water is rather viscous...

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Problem Solving Part 5
Unusual Schedules-Diabetes Problem Solving (Part 5)
Tips for diabetics with unusual schedules...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 14, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.