>
Topic Title: Hypo Awareness
Created On: 01/14/2009 01:04 PM

01/14/2009 01:36 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

1.6 mmol/l equals 28 mg/dl
11.1 mmol/l equals 200 mg/dl

Air temperature in Montreal today - 30C equals - -22F - time to make popsicles!!!

In future - I shall do like I do with my other American friends for air temperature/distance - convert for you. I should have realised this is an American based website - my mistake. At least doing this conversion will keep my brain exercising (hey - it's not just the body we have to keep ship shape - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

BTW Doris, it's not because we are metric here in Canada that we use mmol/l - it is because we use the World Standard Measure for BG. The United States hasn't followed suit yet - but in time you will all eventually come to the " dark side " - hee hee - it's not really that bad. As far as I know most blood glucose meters can be converted to either measurement standard!

Here's a table from the website referenced below:

mmol/l mg/dl interpretation
------ ----- --------------
2.0 / 35 extremely low, danger of unconciousness
3.0 / 55 low, marginal insulin reaction
4.0 / 75 slightly low, first symptoms of lethargy etc.
5.5 / 100 mecca
5 - 6 / 90-110 normal preprandial in nondiabetics
8.0 / 150 normal postprandial in nondiabetics
10.0 / 180 maximum postprandial in nondiabetics
11.0 / 200
15.0 / 270 a little high to very high depending on patient
16.5 / 300
20.0 / 360 getting up there
22 / 400 max mg/dl for some meters and strips
33 / 600 high danger of severe electrolyte imbalance

Preprandial = before meal
Postprandial = after meal

For more info on the above as I have copied/pasted the table to this post and as you can see - no matter how I type it in - it comes in abit screwy due to the editing program at this website - go to this link :http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabe...q/part1/section-9.html
 01/14/2009 01:23 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Anna ... I'm afraid us US citizens haven't got a clue about what your meters measure. It's right up there with the metric system. Can you translate those numbers by any chance, please?

Thanks.

Doris
 01/14/2009 01:04 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Since going on the pump I don't have hypos that often - except when I perhaps over bolus for a carb that I'm not sure about - so I take a guess at it.

I had a real interesting hypo a few nights ago. I woke up - and didn't even feel like I was low - I just got up. Went trotting off to the kitchen - trying not to step on the cat - and started to pop Dex4's into me. I've got some tasty ones - different flavours (one is coconut - yummy). I was trying to count how many I was eating - but then I was concentrating on how yummy each flavour was. I realised at that point - "What am I doing? - I haven't checked my BG yet - I may not be low!!". At this point in time - I think I was a count 4 for the Dex4 - and probably should have stopped there. Test the BG - and this is without my fingers being washed - but I think I pricked a nonDex4 dusty finger - my BG was 1.6!!!! At the time I thought it said 1.9 and freaked - then I ate a few tsps of peanut butter to ward off the nasty sugar on my teeth - and went back to bed. I knew this was a bad hypo tho' - because as I was sitting at the kitchen table - could feel beads of sweat rolling under my night shirt.

Anyway, I'm very lucky that I have hypo awareness - they say as we age - the longer we have diabetes that this sometimes disappears - but so far - touch wood (does particle board count) - I still know when I'm having one. Tho' this one freaked me out abit - e.g. instead of grabbing the juice box I keep by the bed why did I go to the kitchen?

Wondering what my blood sugar was the next morning? Drum roll .... 11.1 - yuppers - OD'd on Dex4 abit me thinkest. Usually in the a.m. - I am between 3.5 - 6.0.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Longterm Health Risks Part 3
Diabetes and Heart Disease: Long-Term Health Risks
Why diabetes increases the risk of heart disease, and how to lower that ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 22, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.