Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: FreeStyle InsuLinx - did not work for this pusscat
Created On: 04/14/2013 03:10 PM

04/19/2013 09:09 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

** UPDATE ** - ALWAYS READ THE MANUAL!!! I'm a hands on girl - and bascially went by what the pharmacist had told me about setting up the meter on my own. I had told them at the time I use 1/2 units - and they said it wasn't possible - and I went with that. Again, she may have said this since not many diabetics take 1/2 unit doses - it tends to be more children - and perhaps the pharmacy I go to doesn't deal with many younger diabetics or folks like myself who are insulin sensitive.

When I had posted my review here in various diabetic groups I hang around in - I received some very helpful responses back stating that;

A) there is a backlight (yippee);
B) there is a "landing strip" light for the test strip (double yippee);
C) most important - you can register 1/2 unit doses (triple yippee) ... BUT in order to do this - you have to plug the meter into your computer via the USB port to change this.

So, on the w/e - I'll be going back to the InsuLinx - give it a TRUE test - and report back to you soon.

I do have to admit - I do find it larger than my FreeStyle Lite - that is still my one complaint (and the same with some T3's (Mum's) whose young kids use the Lite). My main reason for wanting to use the InsuLinx was to help in record keeping for my carb intake along with my insulin dosage - to help me when I've not got my bulky note book with me that contains all the info I need to go back on when I'm trying to evaluate what is going on with my control of my diabetes.
 04/14/2013 03:10 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[size=font-family: verdana, geneva; font-size: small;]I've been using the[url=https://www.myfreestyle.com/products/freeStyle-insuLinx-blood-glucose-monitoring-system.html] FreeStyle InsuLinx[/url] for almost a month now - and while it's great that it uses a small droplet of blood like my FreeStyle Lite - I am actually thinking for myself that is - of going back to the Lite.[/size]

[size=font-family: verdana, geneva; font-size: small;]The reason? Well, I do know how to figure out my IOB (insulin on board), I:C (insulin to carb ratio) - so for anyone new to diabetes - and on insulin - this is probably a good thing for them. I'm an old cat at this game - so either using my noggin' and/or calculator I can figure out what to do as well as the program in the InsuLinx.[/size]

[size=font-family: verdana, geneva; font-size: small;]A few of my beefs with this meter are that it has no backlight (the Lite does) - so in order to see the screen and enter in the info correctly and you only notice the mistake afterwards - you can't change it. I have to make sure that I have a good light overhead to see the screen properly (and no - it's not because I've got old eyes - it's just I'm used to gadgets that have ability for backlight).[/size]

[size=font-family: verdana, geneva; font-size: small;]The other thing I don't like - I use 1/2 unit syringes - and this meter only calculates in 1 unit doses. So, if I take 2.5 units for a meal - I can only register 3 units - which the meter proceeds to tell me that I'll maybe go low as I'm taking too much insulin - based on the set up I have programmed into it (my BG range is 4.5-6 mmol/l - but I have to enter in 4-6). I tried to see if I could change the settings for my insulin injections (in the Advanced mode - which is supposed to be set up by an RN or medical person - but I'm a self learner - and just asked for the code) - but it can't be done. So, with wanting to keep records in the meter itself - to be able to print them up as needed - or view them with correct info - I can't really rely on what I see on the screen - since I can't enter 1/2 unit increments.[/size]

[size=font-family: verdana, geneva; font-size: small;]I also find it much longer to do all the touch screen stuff that is required to enter the info - it's easier just writing it down in my journal - which I have to do anyways - since I also have to register my Lantus shots.[/size]

[size=font-family: verdana, geneva; font-size: small;]So for me - this device is a fail - but for others that maybe new to diabetes - and not as picky as I am about writing down a "true" journal of my doses, carbs, etc. - it's a good teacher for you. So back I go to using the FreeStyle Lite - either calculating using my brain or calculator.

In away - it's like an insulin pump program - which is what intrigued me with the meter in the first place - but it has it's restrictions for someone like myself that is tightly controlled.

Hmmm, should I write a letter to Abbott?[/size]

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Lifestyle Change Emotion Part2
Opportunities to Learn- Lifestyle Changes and Emotions
How to evaluate your progress in learning to manage your diabetes...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 13, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.