Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young
Created On: 09/21/2009 10:11 AM

09/22/2009 12:58 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hey Lisa - excellent post!! We've had some discussions about it in other forums over the years.  Like you say, it's sort of rare.  It's another form of Type 1.5 diabetes that many doctors diagnose their patients with when they aren't either Type 1 or 2.  Testing can only verify it.  The people I know that have been diagnosed with MODY are all on insulin therapy - and seem to be doing well - with A1C's under 6%.  The most important thing is keeping a tight control on your blood sugars to avoid any complications.

If you click on this [url=http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-mody-gene-identified.html]link[/url] - you will find Jenny's  (diagnosed with MODY back in 1998 with an A1C of 5.8%) latest writings on a new gene named BLK that has been discovered by the Joslin Institute. This new gene should be added to the six currently tested for MODY.  One of BLK's functions is to trigger insulin production.

Another link that might interest you - which is where I found this snippet below - is also by Jenny - and helps explain MODY in a non techy way (I'm abit thick headed when it comes to reading medical things).  Go to this link to read more ... [url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14047009.php]http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14047009.php[/url]

<h2>            Indications You Do Not Have MODY
</h2>
<ul>
<li>Low fasting insulin or c-peptide level.
People with the more common forms of MODY usually have normal or near
normal fasting insulin levels. The genetic defects they have primarily
affect post-meal insulin secretion. A low fasting insulin or C-peptide
is much more likely to point to LADA. Read about [url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18382053.php]LADA[/url].
LADA is much more common than MODY and the most frequent cause for
abnormal blood sugars in thin people misdiagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.</li>

<li>Sudden onset of abnormal blood sugars that deteriorate swiftly.
People with MODY are born with MODY and will have, at a minimum,
slightly abnormal post-meal blood sugars or, in MODY-2 a mildly
elevated fasting blood sugar, all their lives. Blood sugars may become
worse with increasing age but in general the progress is gradual. The
sudden onset of abnormal blood sugar or a blood sugar that deteriorates
dramatically over a brief period is more likely to point to LADA. </li>

<li>Use of normal Type 1 insulin doses.
If you are using a typical Type 1 dose of insulin, you aren't likely to
have MODY. People with MODY typically use the very small insulin doses
used during the Type 1 "honeymoon" period all their lives. A typical
Total Daily Dose for a person with MODY may be 10 to 20 units depending
on body size. In addition, because there is often intact basal insulin
secretion, a person with MODY may need much more meal-time insulin than basal insulin. </li>

<li>Use of normal Type 2 insulin doses
People with MODY are insulin sensitive--often highly insulin sensitive.
If you are using over 10 units a day of basal insulin or injecting more
than 10 units at meal time you are unlikely to have MODY.
</li>

</ul>
 09/21/2009 10:11 AM

Author Icon
LisaMM

I read about a form of diabetes called MODY in passing, and realized I had never heard anything about it. Everyone knows of Type I and Type II, but MODY falls into neither category. Yet it's not always recognized - people can be misdiagnosed and treated for another type of diabetes. So what is MODY? There are several forms of the disease, but each is caused by a single mutated gene. (In constast Type I and II are polygenic, meaning the diseases are related to multiple genes.) The different forms account for 1-5% of all diabetes cases in the US. MODY limits the body's ability to produce insulin. It runs in families, but people with it generally do not have the risk factors associated with diabetes (overweight, high blood pressue, etc.) Making sure your diabetes diagnosis is correct important because people with MODY do not always require insulin. Here's a link to the National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse page about MODY, if you'd like some more info. [url=http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/mody/#3] http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/mody/#3 [/url] Does anyone have any stories or anything to add about MODY? It's pretty unknown - just wanted to get the word out.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Santa Claus Gave Me Diabetes
Santa Claus Gave Me Diabetes
Comedy music duo Stuckey and Murray sing a humorous song about the true ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 14, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.