Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Complications in Feet from Diabetes
Created On: 05/06/2009 04:54 PM

01/06/2010 11:42 AM

Author Icon
JoeMeloni

[p]I spoke with a doctor recently who specializes in lower extremity treatment for diabetics, and the doctor stressed the importance of foot care for people with diabetes. I know most of you probably know this already, but for those who do not it is important to note that most lower extremity amputations in the U.S. are a result of diabetes. [/p][p]I understand that svanjari's post was about nothing more than a corn, but reading it made me think of what the doctor had to say. As frequently as your monitor your blood sugar, you should monitor your lower extremities to make sure that all is well.[/p][p]You guys have enough to worry about, I know, but the smallest wound on your foot can lead to some serious problems down the road. [/p][p]So stay on top of it! Haha.[/p][br]
 01/05/2010 09:25 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]Nice tootsies! Well, to be honest, if your diabetes isn't controlled, e.g. blood sugars are wacky, then my answer to you is yes. Though most of the time corns on the feet just come from improper foot wear, so whether you have diabetes or not isn't the factor there. The only thing with diabetics tho' is you may take longer to heal the corn then if you're diabetes isn't well controlled.[/p][p]I personally have never had any foot problems, except for my stupidity of wearing silly shoes for fashionista purposes. I then pay for it with a blister on the heel, or corn on the toe. I heal up normally, as I'm under control with my diabetes tho'. Also, I try not to let this happen too often, of wearing shoes that don't fit.[/p][p]Let's just say (and I wrote it above), I've always been ahead of my times, of wearing Birkenstocks when they weren't in, and being made fun of by friends for wearing these sandals, but they have done my feet well. In the winter, I try my best with sheepskin boots, good socks, to prevent any rubbing. I do not like winter time, or should I say, my feet don't like winter time. They hate being confined in boots. At home in the house, I wear my Dollar Store Crocs, barefeet in them, and the house is set at 20 C / 68 F! [/p][p]If you want more information - I found this [url=http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/complications_feet/index.htm]website[/url] that explains things perhaps better then I have - let me know if it helps! [/p]
 01/05/2010 02:18 PM

Author Icon
svanjari

[p][img=448x336]http://ams.body1.com/assets/svanjari/fbhair1.jpg[/img] is it true that diabetes increases the chances of getting a foot corn..[/p]
 05/13/2009 11:41 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I'm pretty much the same as Doris. I go barefoot as much as I can, inside my house of course. When I'm outside - if I can wear sandals - without socks - then I will as I detest enclosed shoes. Unfortunately, come winter time - I cannot do this outside - but inside I either wear my Dollar Store Crocs or go with socks on (it gets cold up here in Canada). I was not meant to live in a cold climate I think <lol>.

As a child my parents would make me wear socks with my sandals - because of what they'd been told by doctors/nurses - and of course - I was made the laughing stock of kids that didn't know I was a diabetic. How I hated that along with being made fun. Luckily, I have no problems with my feet - and I take VERY good care of them (well - except for that time at the beach last June in Florida - stupid me). I want to be able to continue walking without any problems - as I have a few diabetic friends who have no feeling in their feet - due to neuropathy - or it's very painful for them to walk. That would be a very scary thing for me - as I love to walk - and often make my friends mad at me because they can't keep up with me (and I'm only 5' 4" tall - not exactly long in the leg - but I can hike a fair distance).

So, Awartonick, how do your feet fair with having diabetes? I don't think what you have written is from your own experience - but perhaps I'm reading your words incorrectly. It sounds like you are quite knowledgable in the foot area - so would assume you take excellent care of your tootsies.
 05/06/2009 05:07 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

It sounds to me like you've had a much different experience with your feet than I have over 32 years since my diagnosis.

Though I have a very good friend with diabetes who almost lost a foot because of an injury, it was not her who was at fault. It was the misdiagnosis of the moron physician - actually several physicians. Because of the ineptitude, she will never walk properly again and she spent months visiting a hypobaric oxygen chamber on a daily basis - which is what saved her foot.

However, I disagree that every diabetic must always wear sneakers or slippers. Why do I disagree? Because not every diabetic has neuropathy (or other major complications), nor will they. I feel my feet. I feel hot, cold, cuts and bruises. I've inadvertently tested the theory! That doesn't mean I don't look; it just means I feel my feet and therefore, do not feel the need to subscribe the ADA diabetic footwear mandates.

But I frequently go barefoot or just wear socks in the house. I never went barefoot outside even before diabetes. However, I wear flip flops of one kind or another during much of the summer. I switch to something more substantial for major gardening or yard work activities. That's simply because I'm not an idiot not because I'm a diabetic. I'm not fond of things smacking my feet or legs (i.e. with the weedwacker, rototiller or lawnmower).

Doris
 05/06/2009 04:54 PM

Author Icon
awartonick

High blood glucose from diabetes causes two problems that can lead to serious complications in your feet. When there is nerve damage (a.k.a. diabetic neuropathy), you may not feel pain, heat, or cold in your feet. If you have a cut or sore on your foot, your body might not be able to properly respond to experiencing pain, which can easily lead to infection. If you have poor blood flow (a.k.a. peripheral vascular disease), this makes it difficult for your body to heal a sore or infection, especially if you smoke. Infections, if left untreated, might lead to gangrene, when the skin and tissue around the sore die.
You should regularly take care of your feet by washing them in warm water, checking for wounds on a daily basis, always wearing sneakers or slippers to protect from injuries, and inspecting your shoes before putting them on to make sure they have no sharp edges that may hurt your feet. Talk with your doctor about how and where to get them. These simple tasks will prevent any cuts or infections from getting worse and improve your overall health.

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Pattern Management Part 2
Pattern Management in Diabetes- Adjustments
How to adjust your treatment plan based on the patterns in your blood ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 16, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.