Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Crazy Emotions
Created On: 03/04/2009 08:02 PM

04/07/2009 04:16 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

I finished it and submitted it. Editorial has it. Maybe the "doc" (Dr. Mike Fuller) has it at this point.

The first part of the article discusses how to "earn" the right to choose blood sugar targets of your choosing while in the hospital. The second part discusses the Joslin guidelines - they have two targets from which to choose. Then, of course, you have to get the hospital to play by the rules! But with the Joslin guidelines tucked under one's arms ... well, it should be pretty good ammunition to get them to listen. It even tells them how to do it!

Doris
 04/07/2009 02:20 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

??? Quote - " two-part article on the topic in editorial by the by! ". Do you you mean it's here on Diabetes1 and where would we find it OR are you in the process of writing it? If it is here - maybe you could post the link for some of us that aren't PC savy (I'm still in the learning mode here but getting better every day <lol>).

Cheers!
 04/07/2009 10:01 AM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Thanks for the info on Norman, Anna ... glad to hear he survived hospital controlled blood sugar! I don't dread the disease ... I dread hospital treatment of the disease. There's a two-part article on the topic in editorial by the by!

Doris
 04/06/2009 04:34 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Heard from Norman - he was happy to see some "get well" emails in his Inbox when he got home today.

The cardiologist is going to try and correct the ventricle arrhythmias via meds. If that doesn't work after a few weeks - then it may be either a pacemaker or defibrillator. He was just VERY happy to get out of the hospital (I can vouch for that being the slice/dice Queen over the years). He's taking it easy now at home (a nice hot shower was what he was looking forward to) eat a good meal (hmmm - a bottle of Chianti perhaps?). Back to work on Wednesday - and the regular way of making a buck or two.

As he said "But, sweetie, every time you walk out of a hospital vertically is another good day for you. And a bad one for those who don't like you--which, of course, makes it even better for you."

Welcome back Norman!
 04/03/2009 03:52 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Yes Norman - get well! Keep up your great sense of humour and don't pinch too many of the nurses you know whats!!! LOL
 04/03/2009 02:55 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

Amy Tenderich (of DiabetesMine) posted the following yesterday about Norman on her blog:

"NOTE: I just got word from Norman’s publisher that he’s checked into the emergency room at Beth Israel hospital today, possibly with a heart attack (unconfirmed). He is conscious and lucid enough to be giving directions, I hear. Godspeed, Norman!"

I know we all wish him well. Norman, I hope to hear from you when you get back on your feet.

Doris
 03/04/2009 08:02 PM

Author Icon
Savage

There has been much written about diabetes--how to, cookbooks, glucose control, pumps, etc.--but very little concerning the emotional swings for those with diabetes and deal with it much like we watch the stock market. But ours is an internal ride. I've lived with diabetes since 1958 and am still alive to tell the tale. And what a tale it is! This past summer it was supposed to be published by a major house here in NYC, but then the shit hit the fan. Two senior editors at the house loved it, but it was being delayed by the sales and marketing division who look at things from the past trying to predict the future. It's one of the main reasons why the whole goddamn economy is crumbling around us. My agent, after the economy tanked told me to work on my next book while we "corrected" ourselves. The two senior editors at the publishing house were fired and I was left to think of alternatives. My health is not great and, as all diabetics know, time is nipping at our heels. I decided to get it out and found a way to do it. And maybe, when all is said and done, it will reach more people this way. I do know that as ironic as this may sound, diabetes also saved my life; it's been a curse and a balm.
I've lived a life of madness and mayhem. I’ve had diabetes for 50 years and have been addicted to one substance of another for 45 of those years. It has been a beautifully joyful and painful schizophrenic ride: drugs, booze, women, music, writing, and learning with each new success or defeat. This memoir tries to come to grips with all of life's fractures and contains everything--even you.
I've tried to leave nothing out: family, diabetes, addiction, relationships, jobs, victories as well as defeats. I've provided a few links to view my work and read the interview. Also, for those who want, I can be reached at: nksavage at earthlink dot net.
http://smashwords.com/books/view/715
Interview : http://blog.smashwords.com

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Vlog: An Introduction to Gene Kelly
Vlog: An Introduction to Gene Kelly
Gene introduces himself and talks about his experience over the past 33 ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Oct 21, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.