Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Butter to Olive Oil Conversion Chart
Created On: 05/17/2010 05:03 PM

06/03/2010 05:40 PM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

[p]Thanks, Anna. Good to know about the olive oil! I always use extra-virgin in my cooking, so I'll try it in place of butter according to your conversion chart the next time I bake (unfortunately, that will probably not be very soon. Baking in the summer heat in my un-airconditioned apartment isn't a lot of fun!).[/p][p]Regarding the flax seed, I actually heard that it's possible to use ground flax seeds as a fat substitute. According to [url=http://www.ciaprochef.com/wohf/ameriflax.html]this website[/url]: "As a fat substitute, flax seed can be used in a 3 to 1 ratio: 3 tbsp. (45 ml) of ground flax seed can be used to substitute 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of fat such as margarine or oil. Flax seed can be substituted for all or some of the fat depending on the recipe." [/p][p]Not sure I believe it, since ground flax seeds have a totally different texture than oil or butter! The website also notes that, "Using ground flax seed in baking creates a slightly heavier, chewier product that browns more quickly." [/p][p] I've tried using flax seeds as a flour substitute, as you mentioned, but never as a fat substitute. I found some recipes [url=http://www.greatplainsflax.com/flax-seed-recipes.htm]here[/url] - but it seems like all of them incorporate some other fat source (a few tbsp of butter or oil in most cases). [/p][p]I did a bit of checking, and it seems like flax seed oil is comparable in cost to a high-quality olive oil (and I'd image you can use it in a similar manner, though I agree that it would give a nutty flavor). I found 40 oz (over 1kg) of ground flax seeds on amazon.com for about US$17.[/p][br]
 05/28/2010 07:23 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p]I don't notice any distinct flavour difference in using olive oil. I use extra-virgin. Maybe it depends on which one you use? I've used olive oil to make good pie crust, crumbles, cookies, muffins and they taste just as good made with olive oil as they do with what the recipe calls for which is generally butter. I just adjust according to the chart above, and viola, a "healthier" version in my mind of what I'm about to chomp my teeth down on.[/p][p]Flax seed oil is that what you mean by flax seeds to replace oil? That's something I've not heard of. If it's flax seed oil, it might add a nutty flavour to baking/cooking. I know I use ground flax seed in the bread I make here at home (I try to make most of the food I consume - plus I save money to put aside for my next holiday ). Maybe that's one of the reasons for my not having many diabetic complications after 43 years is cooking from scratch? Who knows. It's whatever works for you, that makes you feel good![/p][p]If you come up with any links Hillary - post them back here. I'll try to find some time this w/e to do abit of research on that (I always like to try something new - but wondering - how much does flax seed oil cost compared to other oils on the market).[/p][p][br][/p]
 05/25/2010 05:51 PM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

[p]Yeah, olive oil gets a lot of good press for its cardiovascular benefits, but it's certainly not low cal! [/p][p]I've actually never used olive oil in baking since I fear that its distinctive flavor wouldn't work in cakes or cookies, but perhaps I'll give it a try.[/p][p]I love to bake, though, and last winter I started experimenting with ways to cut the fat in some of my favorite treats. I've successfully substituted unsweetened applesauce and pumpkin puree for oil in cake and bread recipes (actually, I didn't cut out the oil completely - I put about a tbsp of oil per 1/2 cup of fruit - but would estimate that I still managed to knock off nearly 500 calories). [/p][p]Obviously, the fruit substitute doesn't work for everything. I've heard it changes the texture too much in cookies and pie crusts. [/p][p]Any other low-fat baking ideas? I've heard that flaxseeds can be used as a fat in baking - has anyone tried it?[/p]
 05/24/2010 02:19 PM

Author Icon
AmariT

[p]I've always heard that olive oil was healthier than butter, so I was suprised when I recently discovered how many calories are in a single tablespoon of olive oil. I tend to save olive oil for more italian dishes since I do think it has it's own distinctive taste that I don't want in all of my recipes. Maybe I'll try it in more dishes, though.[/p]
 05/17/2010 05:03 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p=text-align: center;][font face="verdana,geneva" size="3"][img=227x124]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Dwex9AQ8IuA/SWIYjIZs3vI/AAAAAAAABGc/m0m7XtEWztc/s400/butter-oil.jpg[/img] [/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Here I was thinking that switching from butter to olive oil in my cooking was the healthier choice since we know olive oil provides heart healthy unsaturated fats versus the evil butter that contains heart disease promoting saturated fat - but when you look at it - you are still cooking with fat![/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]If you compare the two: [/font][/p][ul]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil provides about 14 grams of total fat / 120 calories;[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1 tablespoon of butter provides about 11 grams of fat / 100 calories. [/font][/li][/ul] [p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]And when it comes to overall heart disease risk and our watching weight as diabetics, it's the total fat and calorie consumption that is just as important as the types of fats we choose.[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]One of the reasons I chose olive oil, where I live here in Canada, the province of Quebec, our milk products are more expensive then other provinces. I've had to learn to cut down on butter purchasing, and either buy it in the USA or go next door to the province of Ontario. I like to think of myself as some sort of Goddess of the Mediterranean kitchen as I slave away (I love to cook by the way).[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]I also happen to like olive oil (I buy cold pressed extra virgin olive oil), and yes, while it is higher in calories - if you look at this conversion table that I use in my baking of cakes/cookies - going the route of using olive oil in my "mind" does use less fat. I don't find there is that much difference in taste or texture of my baked products. Now, when it comes to frying up some nice fish in a pan of butter, well, butter does taste better (unsalted of course).[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]So, incase any of you want to give it a try in your next recipe(s) - try substituting olive oil for butter. Use this chart below (I keep mine taped inside of my cupboard door) - and let me know if you notice a difference in taste, etc.! Let the baking begin ladies and gentlemen!! [/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Conversion Chart - Butter/Margarine = Olive Oil[/font][/p][ul]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1 teaspoon = 3/4 teaspoon[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1 tablespoon = 2 1/4tsp[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]2 tablespoons = 1 1/2 tablespoons[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1/4 cup = 3 tablespoons[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1/3 cup = 1/4 cup[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1/2 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]2/3 cup = 1/2 cup[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]3/4 cup = 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon[/font][/li]
  • [font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]1 cup = 3/4 cup[/font][/li] [/ul][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"] [/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Remember, in the end, total fat consumed in your cooking is the first thing to look at. Then, focus in on the type of fats being chosen. The same applies for recipes that you use.[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Bon appetite! [/font][/p]

• RSS
    From the BLOGS
    KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
    Comment By ricvisa
    more
    Comment
    more Blogs
    Medication
    By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
     Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
    What is Diabetes? (Part 1)
    What is Diabetes? (Part 1) Overview
    An overview of blood glucose, insulin, and the science behind diabetes ...
    more more Featured Videos
    Cost Savings Tool
    Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
    Monitor Comparison Tools
    Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
    Handheld Monitor Comparison
    Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
    Advanced BMI Calculator
    Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
    Advanced BMI Calculator
    more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
      more
      more Heroes
      nominate a Hero
      Hero policy
    Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
    Last updated: Sep 16, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.