< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bread
Created On: 10/13/2010 12:59 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/01/2011 02:09 PM

Author Icon
moodyrah

Perhaps this will help: http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Cooking/Diabetic/Search.aspx?WithTerm=bread It's a list of diabetic recipes for bread.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/01/2011 09:26 AM

Author Icon
AmariT

Anna: That does sound good. I have always been in love with muffins, though I try very hard not to eat them too often. They're hard to resist, though!

01/20/2011 12:05 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Shaha - yes sweet bread has alot of calories and carbs in it! You just have to look at the label on the package and go from there as to how much you can eat. Take for instance, I love hot cross buns (I'm British) - but for one of these - I think it's about 35 carbs and I shiver at what the calorie count is (probably 1/2 my day ration). So, what I try to do (I say "try" as I don't always do this) - is cut the bun in 1/2 - that way less calories - less carbs. Don't forget - other things that mount up the calories are what you put on the bread - e.g. cream cheese, butter, jam. It's all abit mind boggling sometimes when you factor all of these things into just having a slice of toast, bagel, etc. - but at least you're aware of what your putting into your body :)

What's your favourite sweet bread Shaha? Lately mine has been Panettone for breakfast - which I discovered if I slice it right (and weigh it) - is better calorie wise/carb wise - and tastier! I put a bit of butter on it after I've toasted it lightly. Psst, I have yet to make it at home - cheaper to buy at store (and they went on sale after the holidays ).

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

01/20/2011 11:14 AM

Author Icon
shaha

How could bread does not have calories. I think they have a lot, especially sweet bread.
 01/19/2011 03:55 PM

Author Icon
gracewang

It depends on what bread she is eating. If it is whole grain bread, then there is nothing better than that for health. Just choose wisely.
 10/18/2010 05:12 PM

Author Icon
AmariT

I have a friend who honestly believed that bread had no calories. He was like, "It's just bread."

It's mainly important that your mother-in-law watches her carb intake. If she can do that while eating bread, there's no reason not to enjoy it. She could also substitute lower carb alternatives like pita bread or wraps when eating a sandwich and still enjoy one or two pieces from the bread basket when she goes out to dinner.

10/13/2010 12:59 PM

Author Icon
alssong

My mother-in-law has diabetes and she loves bread. She normally eats a couple of slices as a breakfast and maybe some more as a snack. When we go to restarurant, she can't seem to resist the bread basket.
I feel bad for her as I personally love bread (and even make my own) and wonder if there is any healthier chocie for her.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Your Treat Medication Part 9
Is Glucagon Right For You?-Treatment Plan: Diabetes Medications
More about avoiding hypoglycemia; about glucagon (a treatment for if you ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Sep 20, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.