Diabetes1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Older Women with Diabetes Face Higher Risk for Colon Cancer
Created On: 05/02/2010 11:35 PM

05/04/2010 03:28 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Well, I am getting a few good comments in the various areas I post my forum / blog postings (these replies are on my Facebook page) - and I thought I should share some of the replies as I feel they are very worthy to this post. I certainly learn alot from these two ladies![/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Doris J Dickson (DJD): Not a surprise because those with high blood sugar have much higher risk for just about any cancer it seems. Again, though, it's not the act of having diabetes. It is the control level and as long as they tell people to be happy with an A1C of 7 while non-diabetic is 4.2-4.6, diabetics are going to be at higher risk of a lot of things. How much CAN we screw up our immune systems.[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Dianna Inkster (DI): Doris, I thought 5.5 A1C was normal. Canada has one of the highest colorectal cancer rates in the world, Anna, and one of the highest type 1 rates, too. There is a new procedure that is less invasive than a colonoscepy at this link - [/font][url=http://www.healthzone.ca/health/yourhealth/article/801959--five-minute-test-could-cut-colon-cancer-deaths][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]http://www.healthzone.ca/health/yourhealth/article/801959--five-minute-test-could-cut-colon-cancer-deaths[/font][/url][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]DJD: Unfortunately, no ... that's what many people would have you believe. A normal, healthy, thin non-diabetic A1C is 4.2-4.6. Please read Dr. Richard Bernstein's book ... I'm not selling it. It's just it's closer to reality. He's not just an endo. He's an engineer and over 60 years juvenile onset. He's got a vested interested where soooo many docs do not. The closer you get to 6, the higher the risk of heart disease etc REGARDLESS of whether anyone bothered to diagnose the person. I'll have to read your link when I get home. Thanks.[/font][/p]
 05/02/2010 11:35 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

[p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Well, first, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer about 15 years ago. When I turned 40, I was told to have a colonoscopy, due to having a family member diagnosed. It wasn't that difficult a procedure, and I came out squeaky clean (I even asked for the video to take home to watch with my hubby over a bag of popcorn - no - they didn't allow me to take it - but it was interesting to watch while they "explored"). Ten years later, I'm going to undergo one again, but just now I've come across this article released by Mayo Clinic and of course it has perked up my interest.[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]They aren't quite sure what could be the specific links - but like anything - with age - I guess we all develop mutations of some sort that "could" lead to cancer. [/font][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]I'm not sure what the statistics are for colon cancer here in my own country of Canada, but according to this article "Colorectol cancer remains the third-leading cause of cancer deaths among women in the United States".[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]One of the researchers on the team, Dr. Limburg who is a gastroenterologist said and I quote - “Unfortunately, diabetes and colon cancer are both very common in the United States, so making links between these disorders has substantial public health implications.” He also goes on to say - "That diabetes appeared to confer a greater than twofold increase in risk for these molecularly-defined tumors, compared to women without diabetes."[/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]Does this information worry you - or are you like myself - just taking yet another news article on what long term diabetes can cause in our bodies over time? I know this article will be something I will bring up with my doctor next time I see him, so that he's aware of this latest bit of research. I have brought some diabetic articles to my doctors over the years - and they weren't even aware of them. [/font][/p][p][font face="verdana,geneva" size="2"]To read the rest of the article (which is abit technical - but I got the jist of it at least) - you can find it [url=http://www.newswise.com/articles/older-women-with-diabetes-face-higher-risk-for-colon-cancer]here[/url] - or just copy/paste this link in a new browser window - [url=http://www.newswise.com/articles/older-women-with-diabetes-face-higher-risk-for-colon-cancer]http://www.newswise.com/articles/older-women-with-diabetes-face-higher-risk-for-colon-cancer[/url][/font][/p]

RSS
From the BLOGS
KNOW THE BASIC INFORMATION OF DIABETES
Comment By ricvisa
more
Comment
more Blogs
Medication
By FatCatAnna

Posted: Mar 17, 2017
 Thanks for that Andre77 ... though in this area where you've posted "Type 1 Diabetes" - we already know we've got diabetes (50+ years for me).   DiabetesUK has a pretty good description of ...

more more Forums
Your Diabetes Treatment Plan: Nutrition (Part 2)
Choose Foods Low In Fat-Treatment Plan: Nutrition
How to choose foods low in fat...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools

Dr. Wayne Caputo

Dr. Wayne Caputo:

Simplifying Treatment of Diabetic Ulcers
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019  © 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.