I’m going to visit my family for a week, and I’m very excited! My parents always prepare delicious meals for me (I’ve already given them a list of things I want to eat over my stay), and I wanted to surprise them by returning the favor. I’ve been researching healthy recipes for those with diabetes. Earlier I shared some dessert recipes with you, and now I’d like to post some of the meals I’m thinking of making.
But before we get to that, here are some general tips to keep in mind:
- Take smaller portions.
- Eat foods with less fat.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Use less salt and avoid sugar.
Syrian Style Lentil Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2/3 cup dry green lentils
1 3/4 cups water
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until soft about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the lentils and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Cooking times will vary depending on the freshness of the lentils.
- Ladle a half cup of the soup liquid into a bowl and whisk in the flour to form a paste. Mix the paste into the soup. Add the spinach, lemon juice, and salt. If you prefer a thinner soup, add a bit more water. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Adjust salt and lemon to suit your taste.
5 small potatoes,peeled and sliced
Vegetable cooking spray
medium onion, minced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1cup green/red peppers, sliced thin
5 medium mushrooms, sliced
3 whole eggs, beaten
5 egg whites, beaten
Pepper and garlic salt with herbs, to taste
3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 Tbsp. low-fat parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and low-fat mozzarella cheese. Stir egg-cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- In a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet, add vegetable spray and transfer potatoes and egg mixture to pan. Sprinkle with low-fat parmesan cheese and bake until firm and brown on top, about 20–30 minutes.
- Remove omelet from oven, cool for 10 minutes, and cut into five pieces.
Spanish Rice with Chicken
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
1 cup mushrooms,chopped
2 cups uncooked wholegrain rice
3 pounds boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces,skin removed
1 tsp. salt (optional)
2 cups low-fat chicken broth
Saffron or SazónTM for color
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green beans
Olives or capers for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick pot. Add onion, garlic, celery, red/green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add whole grain rice and sauté for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly to mix all ingredients.
- Add chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, Saffron/SazónTM, and tomatoes. Bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let the casserole simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas, corn, and beans and cook for 8–10 minutes. When everything is hot, the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
(makes 4 servings)
1 1/2 pounds( 720 g) lean lamb, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
2 teaspoons (10 ml) grated fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
2 red chilies, seeded
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
1 tablespoon (15 g )fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon (5 ml)canola oil
4 ounces (120 g)cherry tomatoes
1/4 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
3 ounces (90 g) button mushrooms
butter flavored cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml)salt (optional)
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the ginger, garlic, chilies, cumin, cilantro, and oil. Process until finely chopped.
- Combine the spice mixture with the cubed lamb and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the broiler or grill. Using 8 skewers, place the meat, tomatoes and red pepper on them topping each with a mushroom.
- Spray with cooking spray and broil for 2 minutes per side for medium rare lamb.
- Sprinkle with salt, if allowed, just before serving.