< REFRESH >
Topic Title: US Airman 'cured' of diabetes
Created On: 12/16/2009 11:34 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/17/2009 11:34 PM

Author Icon
Diabetic_Iz_Me

I think it's a great concept but I don't think it would work for T-1's lol my pancrea's needs some TLC minus antibodies and It'll be good to go--at least that what I keep telling myself haha

-------------------------
Diabetic_Iz_Me
Type: 1.5/LADA
Omnipod
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/17/2009 12:20 AM

Author Icon
Devilishly.Diabetic

Well, they were his own islet cells... In T1, the islet cells are not the issue. The issue is the auto-immune attack that our own bodies make upon those cells. No matter where those islet cells are implanted in a T1, their T-cells will continue to destroy those cells and diabetes will continue. This is an incredible story and an incredible advancement for those diabetics whose condition is caused by injury or some other non-autoimmune condition. I am so grateful that the staff at Walter-Reed realized this and contacted DRI, this young man deserved this for the sacrifice he chose to make. The knowledge gained will indeed be useful. Perhaps someday the auto-immune response will be stopped for all of us.

12/16/2009 11:34 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Imagine if pancreas islet cells transplanted into your liver meant that you would be cured of diabetes! Well, apparently, this is what happened to Tre Porfirio, a US airman posted to Afghanistan. He's only 21 years old, and after being hit by bullets, in the area of his pancreas, he basically became a diabetic! Not a nice way to go, being riddled with bullets, but the main thing he is still alive.

Well, the story gets even better though. His medical team managed to salvage some of the islet cells that product insulin from what remained of his pancreas, transplanted them into his liver, and now his liver is producing insulin. Where can I sign up?

According to the article I read, this is the first time this procedure has been used in a person who has had their pancreas damaged this way, rather then the usual wear 'n tear associated with long term diabetes.

The article goes onto say that hopefully in 10 years time that this type of procedure may be used within 10 years. Wonder if it'll work on long term diabetics like myself, or would we have to use donor islet cells?

My other question is, does the liver still function like it did before or can it share with the pancreas islet cells? I'm no medical whiz kid, but I thought the liver was very important and that there is no way to make up for the absence of what it does, such as helping in digestion, building cells into protein (protein syntheisis).

To read more of the story go to this link at The Miami Herald.

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Vlog: Gene Kelly's Personal Diagnosis
Vlog: Gene Kelly's Personal Diagnosis
Gene talks about being diagnosed with diabetes when he was 12 years old ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Jul 27, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.