How long does a blood meter last?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: How long does a blood meter last?
Created On: 10/04/2014 11:53 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/21/2016 08:02 AM

Author Icon
MadisynZimmerman

As long as it is gives you accurate readings, the glucose meter is acceptable. Technology has enhanced significantly over the years, meter (generally classified as a medical device present at http://www.ilexmedical.com/products.php?id=43 ) now offer simple interface and more reliable results. Typically glucose monitor last long if you do proper maintenance. Always prefer the one that are suggested by your doctor.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 10/21/2014 03:14 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I like to use the same meter - since it gives me statistics based on 7 / 14 days - and averages. If I was to go back and forth with two meters - then the "true" story of my diabetes #BGnow control would not be reflected.

Always like you say, carry a back up ... just incase.

I always use the sides of my fingertips - the center of our fingertips carries way more nerve endings in it - and I'd rather keep those functioning with being able to detect hot/cold surfaces So far, I have no neuropathy, even with diabetes as long as I have had it

Curious - have asked in other areas you have posted (under a different user name) - but are you on insulin or just on meds/diet for control of your diabetes.

Love to meet up with others that whether we have different form of diabetes - we can share how we control our diabetes control.

BTW, I'm having a perfect day of #BGNow - averaging 4.5 mmol/l (x that by 18 if you're an American to get the mg/dl) - that's excellent for all the things my body is going thru' these days with menoopause / thryroid hormone fluctions

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

10/18/2014 01:12 AM

Author Icon
undefinedEB54

I've researched this for the same reasons your concerned about it and the best information I've discovered is that glucose meters tend to lose some of there efficiency or accuracy somewhere between one and two years.

What I do is to use two different meters, one as a primary and one as a backup you won't need the backup meter as long as your primary meter is giving results approx. where you think they should be, the results should be within 10-15% of each other. As to where to prick yourself you should be using different fingers on every test and use the sides of your fingers rather than the center where there may be more calloused.

10/04/2014 11:53 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I have been using my little Lolita - a turquoise skinned Free Style Lite from Abbott for God knows how long. It maybe going on 5 years - I'm not sure.

I've been finding that with the strips we use for the Abbott meters - that allow you to test from either side of the strip - that I couldn't test from the left hand side of the test strip. I wasted a few too many strips - and have yet found the time to call Abbott up to get some replacements (hey - a buck a peace adds up after awhile). I had similar problems last year - and they'd actually sent me control solution and new strips.

I was getting Error 3 the last few days - and with no control solution - I was up the creek. Luckily, I was given a new meter a few years ago by the pharmacy I go to here in Quebec - the same brand - and after getting it all set up (very easy) - I am now ready to start using Limoncello

So, my question, how often should we replace our blood meters? I know with my insulin pens I use - it's stated that you should replace them every 2 years. I've found nothing in my manual that states anything.

NB: due to continual problems with uploading pictures onto some of my forum/blog posts - you can view the same info - with picture HERE. Sadly though, in order to view this page - when you click on the above link - on the left hand side of the page - you will see " REMOVE FRAME " - click on that - if you still have patience to continue despite your uber busy schedule. You will then be able to view the picture. I know - viewing forum posts shouldn't be this complicated - but the dedicated team at Diabetes1.org is figuring out what the glitch is - and things will resume shortly like we're having a picnic in a park on a sunny day with birds tweeting around our heads.

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Lifestyle Change Emotion Part1
Incorporating Change- Lifestyle Changes and Emotions
Tips for gradually incorporating diabetes into your lifestyle...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Jul 27, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.