< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Sugar Level High After Excersize
Created On: 01/11/2014 09:03 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

02/23/2014 10:23 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Smvmanohar - am writing up a blog at the moment - and came across an even better link / explanation for why our BG spikes. Hopefully this will help you understand better - than my feeble attempt I'd given you earlier.

Check out my blog that will be posted later on this day - and have a laugh!!!

I jest about diabetes - but in reality - I do take it seriously.

The link below is from my fav T1 diabetic guru - Gary Scheiner - http://integrateddiabetes.com/...pike%202.pdf

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/12/2014 03:50 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Actually - that's not a bad increase in your BG (blood sugar) level smvmanohar.

All I know is that when we exercise - and it depends on the type. I know our muscles need more glucose for energy - and when we exercise the liver puts out more glucose to feed the muscles so they can work (have you noticed when you go low your muscles do not want to work - you're probably going low).

So, with more glucose in our system - BG will creep up (and yours was pretty good for that walk)! Kudos to you!

It all varies as to what meds you take for your diabetes - are you on insulin or meds/diet only.

Remember -

• Check your BG before and after you exercise!
  • Do not exercise if your BG is over 250 mg/dl (13 mmol/l) and you have ketones.
  • If your blood sugar is over 250 (13) but no ketones are present, then go with the following:
  • Type 1: If blood sugars are 300 (16) or more, test within 5-10 minutes of begining exercise. If your blood sugar is dropping, you may continue. If it is not dropping, stop exercising.
  • Type 2: Do Not exercise if blood sugars are 400 (22) or more
  • Plan exercise to prevent low blood sugar reactions.
    • Exercise 1 to 1 ½ hours after eating.
    • Always carry a carbohydrate snack (juice, glucose tablets, etc.) with you.
    • Drink plenty of fluids.

Also, before you start any exercise regime - best to talk to your doctor or medical team - incase they have some suggestions for you based on whatever ways you deal with your diabetes.

Diabetes1.org has a section for Exercise - so you might be able to find some more answers there as well. If not - post a new subject there!

Hope this helps you!

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

01/11/2014 09:03 PM

Author Icon
smvmanohar

Today after woke up my blood sugar levels are 148 mg/dl.After testing I started walking on my treadmill.After 1/2 hour of brisk walking again i tested.at this time sugar level 153 mg/dl. why sugar level are increaed after excersize

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Glory Enough For All
Glory Enough For All
This video is the first segment of Glory Enough For All, a made-for-television ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Jul 27, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.