Cinnamon Promises - Do you Believe Them?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cinnamon Promises - Do you Believe Them?
Created On: 01/09/2014 02:06 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/10/2014 11:36 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hey thanks Basabi for your words and glad you like the fluff that comes out of my brain for my occassional blogs.

Like you say - you just have to be careful with what you read - in order to think it will do all that claims say they do. I just found some of the links to this company a wee bit scary - especially for those of us - who don't question what we read and take the gospel truth.

BTW, I did not know about walnuts being good for our cholesterol (something I'm having to watch now with perimenopause and weight gain). Last blood work has the GP watching if it rises next time - so - I've really got to shed some weight ... and eat MORE walnuts. I keep whole walnuts in the freezer to keep them from going rancid - and use them in some of my recipes that are vegetarian (toasted walnuts chopped up can make a nonmeat recipe taste AWESOME). I also like to have a handful (try to keep it small - for a nibble.

My other fav is almonds - does this make me .... NUTS?

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/10/2014 03:24 PM

Author Icon
basabi

Anna - just as walnuts are good for good cholesterol so also cinnamon is good for high blood sugar! Neither has the capacity to 'cure' but both are 'healthy.' I am a Homeopath and respect natural foods, herbs and spices not necessarily as 'drugs' but as agents that help the body to stay healthy under normal circumstances. Claims made about 'cures' are motivated by commerce just as claims made by pharmaceuticals! I was on Actos for 5 years before I learned that it can cause bladder cancer! We are guinea pigs in the hands of the commercial world who are busy generating drugs that need to be taken for life instead of finding cures for diseases. No wonder people are coming up with claims of 'CURES!' BTW - love reading your blog.

01/09/2014 02:06 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I have to admit - when I saw the ad on the front page of Diabets1.org promoting cinnamon - I was curious about why they would promote it. As a regular contributor to their website - and being an advocate - I question claims like this - but realise - a website does not run itself for free - so clicks on an ad on a webpage - help keep a site running!

There's no actual proof that cinnamon does help lower your blood sugar - and due to the type of cinnamon that is used in the product - it can't be really regulated to be of actual use in my humble opinion.

Not that I'm saying not to use cinnamon for helping your blood sugars - but it's some of the statements from the company link that I clicked on that I have to admit are scary.

When I clicked on the ad from Cinnaleve that promotes $$'s off your purchase of their product - there are links on the page with "claims" that cinnamon helps reduce BG levels or even worse claim ... prevents diabetes! That link on their page made me scream - actually see red (hmmm - I should go check my blood pressure).

I then went on to check out links for info on cinnamon use in diabetes (I've done this before - but today's ad on Diabetes1.org got me pondering). FDA doesn't really say much (an outdated article on their website doesn't say much).

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Vlog: An Introduction to Gene Kelly
Vlog: An Introduction to Gene Kelly
Gene introduces himself and talks about his experience over the past 33 ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Jul 27, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.