Topic Title: food for thought
Created On: 05/01/2011 11:43 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/21/2015 03:27 PM

Author Icon
healthcare

Study finds increased risk of type 2 diabetes with statin use

The link between statin use and higher risk of diabetes is not new. Back in 2013, for example, Medical News Today reported on a study published in The BMJ that found certain statins - particularly atorvastatin (Lipitor),rosuvastatin (Crestor) and simvastatin (Zocor) - raised the risk of diabetes by up to 22%.

But according to the researchers of this latest study - including Prof. Markku Laakso of the Institute of Clinical Medicine at the University of Eastern Finland and Kuopio University Hospital in Finland - such studies have had numerous limitations.

The team explains that many of these studies have included selective populations, such as those at high risk of cardiovascular disease. As a result, findings may not be applicable to the general population.

The researchers also note that these studies have often included participants whose diabetes has been self-reported or based on their fasting glucose measurements, which may underestimate the actual number of incident diabetes cases.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 10/18/2014 01:10 AM

Author Icon
undefinedEB54

There isn't a "causative agent" per se; diabetes mellitus describes the situation where the body cannot produce and/or use insulin properly. Type I usually occurs in young people and is where the islet cells of the pancreas stop producing insulin completely. It is thought nowadays to be an autoimmune problem, i.e., the body turns on its own tissues (in this case the islet cells) and destroys them. Type II usually occurs in older people (though presently it is becoming an increasing problem in younger people, supposedly related to poor diet and sedentary lifestyle), and is what occurs when the body is unable to use the insulin it produces. At the start of this condition, there may very well be normal (or even high) levels of insulin; the tissues, however, are resistant to insulin and fail to respond properly, which results in the same high blood glucose as type I. Diet and medication are the primary treatments.

Source:

A wide medical background
Have family members with diabetes http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MV0GAXI
 05/18/2011 11:35 AM

Author Icon
AmariT

I'm with Anna. This post needs more information. I don't think you even said what thet thing was that your dad tried to lower his blood sugar.

Many cases of Type 2 Diabetes can be reversed, though, with the right diet. Unfortunately, the same is not true for Type 1.
 05/05/2011 06:51 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Hey Danny - are you saying your Dad is completely off insulin injections / meds ? Can you give us a bit more information - would love to know more if you can at least give us a link to follow.

Sadly, I'm a Type 1 most of my life, so even with diet / exercise / pills - I'm stuck on the juice of life until I kick the bucket. Though an endo last week told me that she thinks that some diabetics even long term ones like myself may still have some insulin producing cells in their pancreas, which might explain the reason for my using not very much insulin. She said this is just a theory of hers and a few other researchers (she's with McGill University). I'm okay with being on insulin though, and I also know of other Type 2 diabetics that are in the similar situation, that insulin is the only "cure" for them. I'm always wanting to learn about new products out there that many of us may not be aware of.

Where about do you live? I live in Canada.

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
 05/01/2011 11:43 PM

Author Icon
danny0633

My Dad has type 2 Diabetes; he has tried every health supplement to get his blood sugar down which was typically running in the morning around 300. After the evening meal it ran 375 to 400. He was very depressed about having to use insulin but both his feet where numb and he was beginning to give up hope after 2 years. A friend told him about some new stuff the promise seemed a little bit too good to be true, but he figured he had nothing to lose and lo and behold his blood sugar dropped by 100 points and most of the feeling in his feet came back within a month or two. So needless to say he is excited so he wanted to tell everybody especially Diabetics. I’m excited for my Dad because now he’s seen such a significant drop in his glucose numbers and he got such a dramatic impact on his blood circulation. If you have any interest in seeing some really positive results in your own condition. Please reply to my post.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Maintain Good Health Part6
How to Keep your Teeth Healthy and Prevent Gum Disease if you have Diabetes
How to prevent gum disease...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Mar 25, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.