Early-warning Type 2 diabetes test hope for the near future?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Early-warning Type 2 diabetes test hope for the near future?
Created On: 03/21/2011 03:32 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/06/2011 12:29 PM

Author Icon

FCA,

You meant "extinguish" vs. "distinguish", right? To answer your question rhetorically, would would the world be like if there was no Halle Berry, Sonia Sotomayor, Nick Jonas- or all the great, cool PWD on this forum??

We know the answer- the world would be diminished. But that's the future I fear testing is taking us toward...

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/01/2011 03:07 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Yes - your question is very provocative. Your question was a topic of conversation over the dinner table a few times this week.

I guess we can always look through rosey glasses as to the test helping some people take a better look at their lives - but human kind are stubborn (and I speak for myself) - we may have all the best intentions to do things better - but eventually we fall back into our regular routine.

As you say though, prenatal testing these days can reveal things that parents would never have known about until the birth of their child and possibly showing up later in life. The big question like you say - if the prenatal test revealed that the child would say become T1 diabetic - would parents distinguish (I hate the "a" word) the life of that child? I don't like to include religion into my responses at forums - but I guess I'll take the leap here and risk the responses from others that may take offense ... aren't we playing the role of God at that point? Would my parents have had me if they'd known I would have diabetes? Would you 19556? If my father is reading this forum posting - would be interesting to see what his response would be.

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Currently switching back forth between insulin pump/MDI

03/29/2011 01:05 PM

Author Icon

FCA, Yes, such a predictive T2D test would likely would change behaviour, but maybe less than one would think/hope. People still smoke, drive without car safety belts, & eat junk even when they know the risks. As an example, one of my own doctors - who is amazing in every other way- smokes! Here's another question to think about- maybe even more provocative- with all the advances in medical testing, a prenatal test to predict T1D before a baby is born is likely. What then???
 03/21/2011 03:32 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Imagine if a test could tell you 10 years prior that you could possibly become a Type 2 diabetic. Would this stop you in your present track of life and perhaps encourage you to start living a more healthy life style so that you could possibly avoid becoming a Type 2 diabetic? I think it would for myself!

The test used in the study looks for levels of small molecules in the blood. 2,422 health volunteers were tested, 201 later went on to develop diabetes. Researchers found that the early blood tests identified these patients years before they developed any symptoms of having Type 2 diabetes. It seems that high levels of amino acids in the volunteers blood were 5 times as likely to develop diabetes within the following 12 years of the study.

Dr Robert Gerszten and colleagues at Harvard University carried out the work but say more studies are needed before the test could be recommended for general use.

To read more - go to this link - or you can post the link in a separate browser window if you wish -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12803909

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Currently switching back forth between insulin pump/MDI

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Your Treat Medication Part 7
Injection Tips-Treatment Plan: Diabetes Medications
How to choose what part of your body to inject with insulin; how to inject; ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Dec 22, 2014  ©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.