< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Glucagon Web Survey
Created On: 04/01/2009 09:56 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/02/2009 08:52 AM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

You know I can't watch online videos, right? I have dial-up. The survey had a video and I couldn't watch that either so I had to just skip the question and add a comment indicating I couldn't watch the video.As far as saving someone's life ... I don't think there is anyone who I would want injecting me with glucagon who isn't amply capable of mixing the two vials in the original product. If you can't handle that, please don't touch me. Just call 911. They'll handle it.The package insert now says use 1/2 doses for children. Members of the ADA board have mentioned 1/2 works for adults AND keeps people from barfing. Anecdotes are best!Besides, as I always say ... prevention is the best medicine and avoid the problem in the first place. We were lucky as kids if we didn't pass out since we didn't have glucose meters or know the concept of small doses. That just doesn't have to be the case anymore. Glucagon should be a last measure not a standby! Doris

-------------------------
Doris

diagnosed juvenile-onset diabetes 11/2/76

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/01/2009 05:17 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Yes - you still have to mix it up as you do in the regular glucagon kit but it's all done within the pen needle compartment (there are settings on the pen needle indicating what to do - very easy IMHO). There is a video when you fill out the survey mid way - so what I write above will hopefully make better sense. To me - it just seems abit more convenient to do then what you view in the video link below. This product is sort of like the insulin pen needle I use. Again, like you say- at what expense to the consumer? The thing to remember - it may save someone's life!The blog I did a few weeks ago where my god daughter's son had a bad hypo (and ended up in ER again) - he did upheave later - which is normal from what she told me. Not sure if she give him 1/2 the dosage - probably she did it based on whatever the doctor had prescribed.For those of you who can't remember how to prepare a needle for a glucagon shot (I've never done it) and to compare the glucagon product in discussion here - check out the video. It's only 2 minutes long - so is a small download for those of you with dial up. If you notice in this video, the lady says she wishes they had something similar to use for injecting glucagon as they do with the Epipen . Hopefully they check out this forum and see the discussion here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwk4g5es6fo

Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Currently switching back forth between insulin pump/MDI (whichever one I can afford!!)
A1C 6.2%

04/01/2009 05:02 PM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

I haven't had one since I was a teenager either. I remember my mom asking if we really needed to buy them anymore. She had to pay for everything out of her pocket and get reimbursed. My father was long gone. I knew money was tight. I had never passed out and it seemed silly to buy them to only throw them out ... so out out went the expired ones to never be purchased again. HOWEVER ... if someone has yet to stabilize their blood sugar and has a tendency to pass out, that's a different story. Looks to me like you still have to mix it up so I don't know what's changed - other than using a pen instead of a regular syringe. The price you quoted stunned the crap out of me - not that I don't believe you. It's just how much it is for WHAT it is. Ridiculous.I'd have to research the company to see if there is any more detail. I usually try to reserve that to when it goes on the market.Oh - one thing they should do. I understand far fewer people barf if they use 1/2 of the current doses (as they recommend for children). Maybe they should figure out a way to automatically do that.Honestly, if someone stabs me with glucagon or inserts a glucose IV it better be good because if it isn't, I can guarantee they'll get a right hook in the face!

Doris

04/01/2009 12:43 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Very interesting link Doris. I just completed it (took me under 5 minutes). I haven't had a Glucagon kit since I left home at 19. My parents used to have one - and only used it once on me (scary stuff - bigger needles back then). I think this product would be very good for children / elderly - or folks that have hypo unawareness. Sort of looks like an Epipen - so very easy to use. Hopefully it arrives soon in the USA - as Canada tends to follow your lead abit later (our government tends to do more testing prior to releasing medical products - as well as trying to lower the price for the consumer - which is a good thing).Any idea of how much this would cost? I just checked online - and ouch - a Glucagon kit ranges from $75.99 USD to $128.99 USD. Not sure what I would pay for one in Canada - but going to talk to my pharmacist (in Canada you require a prescription - maybe the same applies to USA residents?).

Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Currently switching back forth between insulin pump/MDI (whichever one I can afford!!)
A1C 6.2%

04/01/2009 09:56 AM

Author Icon
dorisjdickson

David Mendosa posted this information on a glucagon pen survey. I took the survey. It's not difficult or cumbersome. If we want to affect change in products, it's worth a few minutes of our time. There is a survey for patients and another for caregivers.I've copied and pasted the information word for word ....Web SurveysDick Rylander, the CEO of Enject Inc., tells me that his company has started the development of a new delivery system for glucagon for use in the treatment of severe (emergency) hypoglycemia. They have worked with Dr. William Polonsky in San Diego to create a patient and caregiver set of surveys to gather information about their worries and feelings regarding this medical emergency. They also will use the surveys to gather some information about a potential new product to replace the existing hypo-kits marketed. How does severe (emergency) hypoglycemia impact people’s lives? Is there a better way to deliver glucagon in emergencies? They have developed two surveys to help answer some of these questions. The first survey is for adults (age 18 and over) using insulin to treat diabetes and the second is for the caregivers and those who help and support patients using insulin to treat diabetes. The answers are totally anonymous. The responses will be used to better understand how you perceive and feel about this medical emergency. The survey should take 10 minutes or less to complete. Please complete only the survey that fits your situation/role. The surveys will be open until April 15, 2009. To complete a survey: You need to be connected to the Internet. Click on the link (below) for the survey you want to complete. Your web browser will open and take you to the survey. Note: If the link does not work, please type or copy and paste the address into your web browser. If you have any challenges accessing or completing the survey please contact them at: severehypoglycemia@gmail.com Adult Survey (18 and over): http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/1...0/adult-patient-survey Caregiver Survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/106642/caregiver-survey

Doris

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Your Diabetes Treatment Plan: Education (Part 2)
Educational Resources-Treatment Plan: Diabetes Education
Other resources for diabetes education, including important phone numbers ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Apr 24, 2014  ©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.