Anyone used VITA Coco for treating low blood sugar?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Anyone used VITA Coco for treating low blood sugar?
Created On: 08/16/2010 11:59 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/16/2010 11:59 AM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

A few weekends ago when we were on our way to our sailboat - I had a hypo - and of course - didn't have my usual Dex4 in the car with me (have a HUGE jar at the boat - but that was still an hours drive away). My main squeeze has recently been using coconut water for keeping himself quenched (he says it's better then Gatorade) and he had some packed that he'd picked up at Walmart in Seneca Falls the week before to try out. I thought since it was coconut - it might be high in fat - so useless to deal with a hypo - but it's only the juice of the coconut and it's low in sodium (1%), high in potassium (15%) and other nutrients, plus the total carb count was 16 grams. Bingo! It hit the spot, brought me back to normal levels without any spiking like I have sometimes when treating a low blood sugar. The one I had was with pineaple and tasted like a Pina Colada (less the alcohol) and was delicious!

I looked at the other plain version of coconut water that he had picked up to try but it has less carbs, so the flavoured ones are probably the best to use for a hypo situation, but can also be used as a great energy drink for other times!

Here's the website (it's imported from Brazil and sold in the USA and can also be ordered online). Let me know if you've ever used this for a hypo - or if you decide to give it a try - let
me know how it worked for you!

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Currently switching back forth between insulin pump/MDI

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Lifestyle Change Emotion Part2
Opportunities to Learn- Lifestyle Changes and Emotions
How to evaluate your progress in learning to manage your diabetes...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Aug 23, 2014  ©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.