< REFRESH >
Topic Title: I-Port
Created On: 11/19/2008 07:56 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/07/2014 02:37 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

If you are wondering why Medtronic has taken over from Patton Medical Devices for distribution of the I-Port - it's got a few of us wondering the same thing. Probably all down to profit margin for both sides.

The sad thing - if you've been reading my blogs (this is the latest one - http://diabetes1.org/blogs/Annas_Blog/Update_on_I_Port ) on the product (search using i-port) - you'll see that that currently there are NO 6mm / 9mm I-Ports available to the consumer - not here in Canada at least.

I'll be out of my supply of 9mm in 18 days. The best I've been told is maybe 2-3 month wait.

Never had problems before Medtronic came into the picture - sigh - are they wanting us to switch over to purchasing the more expensive option of an insulin pump I wonder???

To read more about KK's invention - Katherine Patton - you can check out her video here .... http://www.i-port.com/aboutus.html

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/19/2008 08:28 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

UPDATE: Just spoke with Lise from Patton Medical Devices. If you were having to pay out of pocket for their I-PODS - it will run you about $120 USD for a box of 10. Not a bad deal IMHO. I did ask her if eventually they might come out with an automated version - since some people do not like manually inserting needles into themselves - and she says they are looking into that for the future.I think it's a good product from the sounds of it. Very supportive team to help out anyone wishing to use it. I can't wait to hear from anyone that maybe is already using it or thinking about trying a different approach to taking care of themselves with multiple injections!

Type 1 since 1967
 11/19/2008 07:56 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

I read today about a woman by the name of Katherine (KK) Patton - who became diabetic when she was pregnant back in 2001. She hated giving insulin shots - and she came up with something similiar to what I use with my insulin pump which is a port for the insulin to go thru'. Instead of pumping with a pump - you simply use your needle/pen needle to inject the required doseage of insulin thru' the cannula inserted under your skin! I have used my port from time to time this way - when I am wearing a tight dress and don't want the bother of wearing the pump (I am from Montreal - semi-Fashionist ) - and it's worked for me - just at a box of 10 for $200 CDN - it's abit pricey - so I'm curious to know what the charge is for this device. Catherine by the way has been wearing this device now for the past 3 years. Would you consider using this if it means you only have to place this port into your body every 3 days rather then multiple injecting? When I was MDI - I would inject as much as 10 times a day with two types of insulin - so that's 30 pricks into your skin over 3 days. To have the option of simply injecting into a port like this might have been something I'd be interested in rather then perhaps plunking down the big $$$'s for a pump (mine was $7,000 CDN - 80% covered by private work insurance - still abit of change when you think about it). Plus for some people - wearing a pump with tubing, a mini PC strapped to their waist/thigh - no thanks - I don't want it. I have called up the company - and they will be getting back to me on costs associated with their product(s). Unfortunately, for those of you living outside of the US - it's not available to us. I know here in Canada - many medical products go thru' a barrage of tests - so things tend to come out abit later for us - and the same may apply to other countries around the world. Once they've coughed up some info - hopefully I'll be posting abit more here for you to read. Here's the website for further information - I'd love to know if any of you would consider giving it a try - I know I would (and maybe I will one day!) .... http://www.i-port.com/

Type 1 since 1967

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Vlog: Gene Kelly on Diabetes & Your Life
Vlog: Gene Kelly on Diabetes & Your Life
Gene reminds diabetics that diabetes is not their life and it does not ...
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: May 26, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.