< REFRESH >
Topic Title: AFREZZA® - Rapid Inhaled Insulin Gets FDA Approval
Created On: 07/03/2014 11:16 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

02/26/2015 11:15 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

As of  February 3, 2015 – Sanofi and MannKind Corporation made the announcement that Afrezza® (insulin human) Inhalation Powder, is now available by prescription in U.S. retail pharmacies nationwide.

"Afrezza is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to control high blood sugar in adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. “Many people living with diabetes are not able to control their blood sugar on their current medications and may benefit from using insulin. Now they have another option to administer insulin that is not an injection,” said Dr. Janet McGill, M.D., Professor of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and Afrezza clinical trial investigator. “This delivery option may help change the dialogue between health care professionals and people living with diabetes about initiating or intensifying insulin therapy.

To read more - go to this link .... prodhttp://en.sanofi.com/Images/38...lt;/p>

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried it ... or thinking about it ... 

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/03/2014 11:16 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Good news - inhaled insulin has been approved by FDA called Afrezza made by MannKind Corporation. I still have a "pretend" pump that was given to me by a rep back in 2008 - that I jokingly pulled out at dinner tables at the time.

I actually know of 1 Type 1 diabetic from Plattsburgh, New York who participated in those trials - and did VERY well. Sadly - the trial they were on was stopped due to some problems (which you'll see in the FDA statement link below).

Now fast forward - and who knows - maybe if the trial runs go according to plan - we may have a different way of controlling our blood sugars. Yes, still have to take long acting insulin - but for meals (and maybe corrections - but not sure about that).

All I know is, that this could be another alternative to less dart board practice on our bodies. I'm always game as usual to be a research guinea pig! What about you?

Here's the link - http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/...lt;/p>

UPDATE: There is some good discussion going on at DiabetesMine. I just discovered that minimum you can dose at is 4 units - and mealtimes only. I rarely take that much insulin for what I consume - and would end up in la-la hypo land - defeat my weight loss goal by gorging out on food to go back to my happy zone of BG control.

It probably is good for folks who are insulin resistant - which tends to be Type 2's - but for majority of Type 1 diabetics - I'm thinking it might not work - especially for those of us who are insulin sensitive (meaning - we take very little insulin to balance our blood sugars out). Also, for eating foods that take time to absorb - because this puff of insulin absorbs quickly - it probably would not work on meals like pizza, pasta. Sigh, again, I'd still would have been interested in being part of the study.

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Lifestyle Change Emotion Part9
Finding Support- Lifestyle Changes and Emotions
Why people with diabetes need emotional support, and how to get it....
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Mar 27, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.