< REFRESH >
Topic Title: HEALTH CANADA URGENT SAFETY INFO FOR INSULIN PUMP USERS
Created On: 11/26/2014 07:28 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/13/2014 04:27 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

Maria - I did receive a letter from Animas Canada a few weeks ago - stating that if you did experience any problems - to call them. I don't think there would be a problem with exchanging "bad" ones for good ones.

Luckily, I'm not going anywhere for a long length of time ... e.g. if I was going away more than a week - where you have to pack 3X what you need in pump supplies for that "what if" ... then I probably would call them up and explain the situation.

I'm only able to order up a month's supply ... I can't stock pile like some people in the USA seem to be able to do. So, this is one reason I sometimes switch back / forth with MDI (multiple dose injections) - so I can make sure I have enough infusion sets / cartridges to see me thru' the month - based on replacing an infusion set every 3 days (some people can only get 2 days).

Pumping is not a cheap method of controlling your diabetes as you can see, we're at the mercy of the companies that charge what they do ... and sadly, due to that, not all diabetics can pump. Though again, I'm lucky, that I learned the old fashioned way of MDI, which to most people is alot of work, but with time, you can control your diabetes as well as you can with a pump ... though during my current hormone phase ... I'm finding being back on the insulin pump is much easier for me to control my blood sugars ... though ask Ginger Vieira ... and she's opposite to me (she's now about 1 1/2 months away from popping the bun out of the oven).

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/11/2014 01:01 PM

Author Icon
MariaRoss

That's really alarming. Is there anything you can do to get them replaced since they were recalled? The company should have some kind of exchange process given taht this is their fault and they've already admitted it.

11/26/2014 07:28 PM

Author Icon
FatCatAnna

" Unomedical a/s, the manufacturer of these infusion sets, has identified an increase in reports of the tubing becoming detached at the connect/disconnect location on the products. Patients who are concerned about their device should contact their distributor.

If tubing detachment occurs, insulin delivery is interrupted and the pump alarm will not notify the user, according to the manufacturer. The risk to patients of an interruption in insulin delivery is hyperglycemia (elevated blood sugar levels). Hyperglycemia can result in diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a serious condition, and in extreme cases can lead to death. Symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis may include nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath and excess thirst/urination."

More info can be found at this link to find out which sets are affected.

UPDATE: In today's post I received a letter from Animas, which shows that I have one of the recalled infusion sets (Contact Detach) that may have this problem. I actually just started back on my pump tonight, despite what hospital endo had told me (see my recent blog at this link). So far, from examining the infusion set I just placed into my abdomen - it looks alright. Let's hope the rest work out alright, since I only have one box of infusion sets to work with until I have enough monies for purchasing more (the joys of having to pay out of pocket ... really, it's not that bad, but means you cannot stock pile up like some folks do that have insurance that allows them to do this).

-------------------------
Anna from Montreal, Canada
Type 1 since 1967
Now using a nifty CGMS along with an insulin pump!!!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Lifestyle Change Emotion Part6
Stress Management- Lifestyle Changes and Emotions
The consequences of high stress and tips for stress management....
more more Featured Videos
Cost Savings Tool
Do you know the annual cost of managing your diabetes? Would you like to find ways to reduce your costs? Calculate your total budget and identify ways to save money. You can do this in just a few minutes by entering facts about the products you use. This quick analysis will provide you with a comprehensive overview of both spending and potential savings.

Cost Savings Tool
Monitor Comparison Tools
Blood glucose monitors offer an easy way to test your blood sugar at home or on the go. Use this comparison tool as a guide to learn more about the features and benefits of your current monitor or to find a new one.
Handheld Monitor Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor Comparison
Advanced BMI Calculator
Ever wonder if you are at a healthy weight? Then enter your height and weight in our advanced Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. This tool provides you with two important numbers reflecting the estimated impact of your present body weight and shape upon your overall health.
Advanced BMI Calculator
more Care Tools
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: May 26, 2017  © 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.